11th Grade Online Curriculum
In the junior year of high school, most students are already thinking about life after high school — whether that means college, military, vocational school, or employment. A flexible 11th grade curriculum can allow students to refine their course studies to prepare them for the path they are interested in following.
As they plan for what comes after secondary school — academically and emotionally — it’s important to help them focus on the skills they will need to master in order to succeed.
Find out what your 11th graders should be learning, what is included in Time4Learning’s online curriculum for 11th grade, and how you can use it as a complete curriculum or as a supplemental program.
- What do Eleventh Graders Learn?
- 11th Grade Curriculum Overview
- 11th Grade Math Curriculum
- 11th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
- 11th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
- 11th Grade Science Curriculum
- How to Homeschool an Eleventh Grader
- Why Choose Time4Learning 11th Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
- FAQ’s About Homeschooling 11th Grade
What do Eleventh Graders Learn?
11th graders are usually taught advanced concepts in their core classes and start to expand their knowledge by learning other subjects such as psychology, environmental science, arts and more.
This is also the year when many students take the SAT or ACT tests, start narrowing down their college list, learning about financial aid and stay involved in extracurricular activities. In general, students in 11th grade should:
- Refine and build on previously learned skills across different subjects.
- Learn advanced literature, grammar, composition, and vocabulary skills.
- Understand how physics or chemistry function in the world (depending on course order).
- Expand proficiency with technological learning tools such as PowerPoint, G Suite and other tools.
- Conduct in-depth research utilizing different sources such as books and the internet.
- Improve organizational skills through the use of tools like calendars, agendas, planners, logs, checklists and more.
- Refine time management, prioritization, and independent study skills to meet academic goals.
- Make connections between verbal, numeric, algebraic, and graphical representations of functions.
- Create equations and inequalities that can be used to model and solve mathematical and real-world problems.
- Examine the major events and turning points of U.S. history from the Industrial Revolution through the modern age.
- Get a clear understanding of motion, energy, electricity, magnetism, and the laws that govern the physical universe.
- Solve novel problems, reason abstractly, and think critically.
11th Grade Curriculum Overview
A typical choice of courses for 11th grade include Algebra II, Physics, U.S. History II, Language Arts 11 and electives. Parents and students can choose to customize their course choices based on skill level, interests, and overall high school plans.
A well rounded 11th grade education should help your student:
- Read, write, listen, and speak effectively.
- Analyze and evaluate different genres of texts.
- Understand mathematical relationships (i.e., equalities and inequalities) and justify answers.
- Think critically to develop solutions for mathematical and real-world problems.
- Gain a greater understanding of American foundations and history.
- Increase understanding of the scientific method and applications of physics or chemistry.
- Learn through goal setting, questioning, researching, and evaluating sources of information.
- Prepare for college and career.
Be sure to research the homeschool requirements in your state to ensure your curriculum of preference aligns with what is required.
11th Grade Math Curriculum
The traditional course sequence for high school math includes Algebra I in 9th grade, Geometry in 10th grade, Algebra II in 11th grade, and an advanced math elective in 12th grade. However, sometimes students are able to complete Algebra I in 8th grade, so the courses can shift, potentially allowing for advanced math electives in both 11th and 12th grades. Explore the available math courses at the high school level below:11th grade math curriculum page.
11th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
At the 11th grade level, students are assumed to have high-level reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills approaching what will be necessary when entering college, military, or vocational post-secondary pathways. Students deeply examine works from acclaimed authors and important historical figures.
Some of the skills students will acquire with our 11th grade curriculum for language arts include:
- Moving beyond effective use of English grammar, usage, and conventions to the understanding that conventions change and can be challenged.
- Use of references to resolve issues of complex usage, discover ways to vary sentence structure, and determine word meaning and relationships.
- Choose from a variety of strategies to determine subtle differences in word meanings, interpret figures of speech, and analyze the use of language within texts.
11th Grade Social Studies
For 11th grade social studies, we recommend the US History II course. However, parents can select from four different social studies courses for high schoolers and teach them in the order they prefer.11th grade social studies curriculum page.
11th Grade Science Curriculum
Traditionally, high school students take physical science in 9th grade, biology in 10th grade, and then chemistry or physics in 11th and 12th grades. Time4Learning pairs physics with 11th grade, but as a parent, you can choose from any of the following courses:11th grade science curriculum page.
High School ElectivesHigh school education programs typically give students the opportunity to take various electives each year. Time4Learning’s high school curriculum is no different. With 14 elective courses available, students have a wide-range of subjects and topics they can choose from. Those include:
How to Homeschool an Eleventh Grader
If you’re ready to start homeschooling an eleventh grader but need guidance on how to start, we put together information on:
- How to get started
- How to create a schedule and plan your lessons
- Starter reading book list
- Tips, ideas and more!
Why Choose Time4Learning 11th Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
Get your child ready for high school graduation, and life after high school with Time4Learning’s 11th grade homeschool curriculum. Whether you are choosing a curriculum to homeschool 11th grade, supplementing a regular school day, preparing for assessments, putting together portfolios, or filling in learning gaps, our flexible online curriculum can be the ideal solution.
For over 16 years, we’ve been helping families walk through each academic year as their students continue to learn and grow into successful young adults. For the low price of $30/per month, parents can choose 4 courses for their 11th grade curriculum and add additional courses for $5/per month per course.
The lessons and materials are designed to engage students at each level of education, and the flexibility provided for high school courses allows parents to choose the best courses of study for their children.
Here are some reasons why families choose Time4Learning’s online curriculum for 11th grade:
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement
FAQ’s About Homeschooling 11th Grade
How old are 11th graders?
In 11th grade, or junior year, students are usually 16-17 years old. This age range depends on their birthdays (i.e., when they entered Kindergarten) and whether they were held back or moved up a grade earlier in their education.
How can I prepare my child for eleventh grade?
You can help your 11th grader prepare for success by doing the following:
- Modeling good work ethic and task completion.
- Helping your child find strategies for organizing time and materials.
- Asking your child to set goals and check progress on those goals.
- Verifying that notetaking and study strategies are effective.
- Encouraging your child to check work before submitting.
- Supporting your child to create a schedule that appropriately balances coursework, work, activities, and a social life without undue anxiety.
- If your child is college bound, planning out preparation for the ACT/SAT, completion of the college essay, and college visits.
What should an 11th grader know by the end of the year?
By the end of the year, an 11th grader should have mastered certain skills and concepts and should be able to do the following:
- Read and analyze texts at an 11th grade level.
- Speak and write fluently without major errors in grammar, usage, and conventions.
- Listen attentively while taking notes.
- Solve problems involving algebra with explanations of process and justification of answers.
- Identify the importance of American history to current US government and international affairs.
- Apply physics or chemistry concepts to real-world situations.
- Think critically to solve real-world problems.
- Use technology and other resources for research and learning.
Why is eleventh grade important?
Eleventh grade is important because it is a time when students are preparing to enter the “real worlds” of college, military, vocational training, or employment. The 11th grade curriculum incorporates some flexibility, which can support student interests and strengths, while at the same time fine-tuning skills and knowledge from prior grades. Some people would argue that 11th grade is the most important because the 11th grade course load can be one factor colleges look at when determining whether a student can handle college.
How many credits should you have in 11th grade?
Required credits for 11th grade can vary by state. Check with your state to find out the number of credits required for your 11th grader.
Can you graduate in 11th grade?
Early graduation may be possible if all high school requirements have been met. Since four years of Language Arts are typically required for graduation, interested students may want to “double up” on Language Arts during 11th grade. Check your state’s graduation requirements to determine whether early graduation is an option for your child.