Homeschooling in California
If you currently live in California or are moving to the area and are interested in homeschooling, you probably have many questions about how homeschooling works here. Are you wondering things like, “Can you homeschool in California?”, “What homeschool laws does California have?”, and “What kind of homeschool support is available to me?” The answer to the first question is a resounding “YES,” and to discover the answers to the other questions (and many more!), you’ll want to browse all the information we offer below.
- How to Homeschool in California: Getting Started
- California Homeschooling Laws
- California Homeschool Charter Schools
- California Homeschool Associations
- California Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in California
- California Homeschooling by City
- California Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in California
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Homeschool in California: Getting Started
According to homeschooling authorities, homeschoolers in California have five basic options for teaching their children at home:
- File an affidavit to function as a private school.
- Enroll in a private school satellite homeschool program.
- Hire a certified private tutor (or become a credentialed tutor yourself).
- Use a public school independent study option.
- Enroll in a public charter school for homeschoolers.
Your very first step as a new homeschool family is to thoroughly research each of those options, decide which one is right for you, and then follow the homeschool laws pertaining to your choice.
California Homeschooling Laws
A popular option for many families in California is enrolling their child in a public charter school geared toward homeschoolers. One reason it has found favor with new homeschooling families is that it is free, and in fact, even is supplemented with a generous yearly stipend. Even in charter schools in California, homeschool curriculum choices are often up to the individual family. Many homeschool charter school students in California use Time4Learning as part of their customized curriculum plan. Find out more: California Homeschooling Laws
California Homeschool Charter Schools
A popular option for many families in California is enrolling their child in a public charter school geared toward homeschoolers. One reason it has found favor with new homeschooling families is that it is free, and in fact, even is supplemented with a generous yearly stipend. Even in charter schools in California, homeschool curriculum choices are often up to the individual family. Many homeschool charter school students in California use Time4Learning as part of their customized curriculum plan. Find out more: California Homeschool Charter Schools
California Homeschool Associations
Statewide homeschool associations provide homeschooling families with the most up-to-date information about home education in a state. California has not just one, but three statewide organizations that provide information on homeschooling laws, types of homeschooling, scholarships, newsletters, state and regional discounts and more. Each association is unique, though, and you may benefit from applying for membership with more than one. More info: California Homeschool Associations
California Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Homeschool groups and cooperatives are usually the chief local support system for homeschooling families. For new homeschoolers, they provide the opportunity to receive information and inspiration from more experienced homeschoolers. Groups often organize field trips and play dates, and more academically focused groups (called co-ops) even offer classes where each parent teaches a subject or supervises a class. Many parents find lifelong friendships through co-ops and local support groups. Find out more: California Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Homeschool Field Trips in California
Just because you homeschool doesn’t mean that all of your learning will take place at home; far from it! In fact, homeschooling provides you with such a uniquely flexible schedule that active learning becomes a regular part of your weekly routine. One of the best ways to enhance the lessons you’re covering is with a related field trip. And the Golden State has more than enough opportunities to keep you busy. Discover some of the amazing educational destinations California has in store for your next homeschool adventure. Learn more: Homeschool Field Trips in California
California Homeschooling by CityHomeschooling in California’s urban areas offer exciting opportunities for homeschoolers. Check out all the options you have near these metropolitan areas of the Golden State:
California State Test Prep
Some parents use yearly standardized tests as a benchmark system to note how much progress students are making. Even if you don’t use an option where standardized testing is mandated, you may decide you want your kid to participate in testing. Time4Learning standards based curriculum builds the skills that students are tested on normed tests.
Learn more in our California test prep page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in California
Time4Learning is a popular curriculum option in California, both with families choosing to establish private schools for homeschooling and families who enroll in charter schools. Some of the features that make Time4Learning one of the most successful homeschool programs in California include:
- The educational approach takes advantage of today’s technology that teaches core concepts through interactive and fun lessons and games.
- The program includes tools that let parents track their student’s day-to-day progress and even helps them plan out their homeschool year.
- Special needs and gifted students benefit from customized learning options, including the ability to set individual subjects to different grade levels.
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime