Seventh Grade Online Curriculum
Being able to customize your child’s 7th grade education means you can make sure your student is engaged with the materials and not feel frustrated when they need more time to master certain concepts or rapidly move forward from those they find easy.
This page provides a summary of the key 7th grade curriculum and learning objectives for language arts, math, social studies, and science. Under each is a more detailed description of what 7th graders need to know in each subject area, as well as information on how Time4Learning covers those core concepts in our seventh grade curriculum.
- What Do Seventh Graders Learn?
- 7th Grade Curriculum Overview
- 7th Grade Math Curriculum
- 7th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
- 7th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
- 7th Grade Science Curriculum
- 7th Grade Spelling Words
- How to Homeschool a Seventh Grader
- Why Choose Time4Learning 7th Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
- Frequently Asked Questions About Homeschooling 7th Grade
What Do Seventh Graders Learn?
Seventh grade is a year of highly visible progress in many areas, including math, science, civics, reading, writing, and more. During the course of seventh grade, students should:
- Be able to apply math to everyday activities.
- Understand and apply basic concepts of geometry.
- Read fluently, analyze the text and infer its message.
- Understand the human body and its different systems and functions.
- Learn to recognize the different cultures around them through food, customs and more.
7th Grade Curriculum Overview
Seventh graders are exploring more independence in their schoolwork and are discovering new interests and gaining a better understanding of themselves.
A typical course of study for seventh grade homeschoolers will include language arts (including literature), math, science (life, earth or physical science), and social studies (ancient history, world history, U.S. history or civics). In addition, many students homeschooling in 7th grade will incorporate other courses or electives such as foreign languages, music and more.
When reviewing a 7th grade curriculum make sure it:
- Helps your student gain a better understanding of the world around them (people and cultures, environment, etc)
- Keeps your child engaged and focused on learning as they continue to prepare for higher-level learning.
- Motivates them to become better communicators as they work on their listening, writing and speaking skills.
- Expands their knowledge of mathematical concepts appropriate to 7th grade.
- Improves their organizational, critical thinking, decision-making and goal-setting skills.
- Fosters a love of learning as they develop deep research, analysis and writing skills while they explore science, social studies, math and language arts.
- Prepares them for college, a career and life in general.
Be sure to research the homeschool requirements in your state to ensure your curriculum of preference aligns with what is required.
7th Grade Math Curriculum
A strong seventh grade math curriculum should build skills in problem solving, mathematical communication, application of concepts, and creating a foundation for algebraic thinking. These skills lay the groundwork for the higher maths that students will encounter in high school.
Some of the math concepts that your student will encounter in a grade 7 curriculum include:
- Analyzing proportional relationships using tables and graphs
- Using statistics to draw inferences and make comparisons
- Calculating perimeter, circumference, and area of geometric planes
7th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Seventh grade language arts helps students build literacy skills, including the ability to analyze, define, compare, and evaluate ideas when reading and writing. They strengthen their written communication by learning to support their opinions with evidence and details and by practicing writing in different genres.
Some of the language arts concepts that your student will encounter in their seventh grade curriculum include:
- Summarizing, predicting, visualizing, questioning, and clarifying through think aloud prompts
- Comparing and contrasting story elements to make inferences about varied types of literature
- Correctly use prepositional phrases and clauses in their writing
7th Grade Social Studies Curriculum
The focus of most social studies programs in the middle school years is on teaching students to learn about historical events within a context and make connections between different periods, themes, and ideas.
While we typically recommend the civics or world geography curriculum for 7th grade, parents can choose from any of the courses below and teach them in the order they prefer:
- MS Ancient World History
- MS World History
- MS Civics, Government, and Economics
- MS World Cultures and Geography
- MS US History
7th Grade Science Curriculum
In the middle school years, the goal of any strong science curriculum is to get students more curious about the world around them. By learning to ask scientific questions, taking part in experiments to test their theories, and then develop explanations based on their observations, seventh graders are preparing themselves for high school level science courses.
We usually recommend the earth science course for 7th graders, however, parents have the following to choose from:7th grade science curriculum page.
7th Grade Spelling Words
Development in one area of literacy relates to other areas, so success in reading, writing, and spelling are definitely connected. While elementary school is when students learn the mechanics of spelling, middle school spelling instruction focuses on how words are made.
Time4Learning includes spelling lists along with other materials on the parent dashboard as an added benefit.
You can view a sample of our list on our 7th grade spelling words list page.
How to Homeschool a Seventh Grader
Thinking about homeschooling a seventh grader? Time4Learning can help guide you through the process. You’ll find useful information on:
- How to start
- Schedule and planning
- Reading book list
- Tips, ideas and more!
Why Choose Time4Learning 7th Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
Time4Learning is dedicated to bringing a convenient and flexible homeschooling option to parents while giving students the opportunity to take control of their education through student-led courses.
For families who need a 7th grade complete curriculum, Time4Learning offers a well-rounded approach, including interactive lessons, quizzes and tests in all the core subjects.
Some of the reasons that Time4Learning’s 7th grade homeschool program is so popular include:
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement
FAQ’s About Homeschooling 7th Grade
What age are you in 7th grade?
Typically, a seventh grader is between 12 years old and 13 years old, but your homeschooler may be doing seventh grade work earlier or later. This is the wonderful flexibility of home education!
How can I prepare my child for seventh grade?
You can help your child succeed in 7th grade by instilling the skills below:
- Have them learn and practice organization skills.
- Come up with study techniques that work for your child.
- Instill good time management skills.
- Find a good study and socialization balance.
What should a 7th grader know by the end of the year?
By the end of the year, 7th graders should be able to:
- Have a better understanding of scientific concepts in either, life, earth or physical science.
- Have mastered punctuation, grammar, and syntax skills.
- Accurately calculate perimeter, circumference, and area of geometric planes.
- Have an understanding of historical events and their connections between different periods, themes, and ideas.