9th Grade Online Curriculum
For students starting grade 9, curriculum flexibility is one of the key benefits that interest them the most. A well rounded ninth grade education will provide the foundation for the high school experience, as well as begin building the student’s official portfolio for future college applications.
To find the right ninth grade curriculum for your student and family lifestyle, you’ll want to consider your goals and preferences first. This page will give you an overview of what to expect for your ninth grade homeschool, examine what 9th graders need to know and more.
What Do Ninth Graders Learn?
9th grade is a year of major shifts in perspective, education requirements, and expectations. As they reach higher level thinking skills and autonomy, it marks the beginning of their preparation to go to college or enter the workforce after graduation.
Below are some of the skills and concepts a student will learn with a ninth grade curriculum:
- Essay writing skills with an outline
- An introduction to source citation and plagiarism
- Continued grammar, vocabulary, and spelling skills
- Reading apprehension via a reading list, book reports, quizzes, and more.
- Understanding equations, polynomials, graphs, formulas, complex numbers, and more.
- The structure of a cell, mitosis and meiosis, blood typing, the scientific method, properly recorded science projects, how to use a microscope, etc.
- The use of a timeline, map, and globe. Likely, students will need to memorize the continents, states, and capitals.
- Important events, dates, and figures either in U.S. History or World History, and an understanding of how the societies and cultures were affected.
9th Grade Curriculum Overview
A typical course of study for 9th graders include a wide range of topics for science and social studies. These usually include biology, chemistry and physics for science and US history I and II, US government and world history for social studies. Math usually starts with Algebra I in 9th grade but there are other math subjects students can take, while for language arts includes grammar, vocabulary, composition and more. Electives also become a vital part of any ninth grade education.
The specific subjects for ninth grade will vary depending on your preference. Certain families may choose to include more subjects to fulfill prerequisites early on and free up later high school grades for college preparation, while other families prefer to ease into high school and increase the workload as the student progresses.
When looking into a curriculum for ninth grade, you should expect the program to:
- Instruct your student in advanced math concepts including algebra, geometry, pre-calculus and personal finance to help prepare them for independent living.
- Provide tons of stimulation to build their composition, grammar, vocabulary and general communication skills.
- Train them in essential science practices such as asking questions, planning and carrying out experiments, interpreting data and forming hypotheses.
- Include lessons or activities that help them improve critical thinking and reasoning skills.
- Expand your student’s knowledge of the American history and government, as well as world geography, cultures, it’s people and their history.
- Help them gain experience with reading maps, evaluating data and problem-solving.
- Introduce a range of additional subjects such as art, economics, personal wellness and more.
Be sure to research the homeschool requirements in your state to ensure your curriculum of preference aligns with what is required.
9th Grade Math Curriculum
A 9th grade homeschool curriculum often covers Algebra 1 in mathematics. However, other popular alternatives are also Pre-Calculus or Geometry. The choice lay with the parent and is completely flexible depending on the student’s academic level and understanding. Some of the courses we offer for high school math include:9th grade math curriculum page.
9th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
A language arts program for a ninth grade education is usually a more rigorous introduction to formal academic writing. It expands on vocabulary, requires greater attention to grammar, and places a heavy focus on correct spelling. In other words, your student’s previous skills from middle school will be challenged and deepened.
Here are a few topics you can expect your ninth grade language arts curriculum to address.
- Mechanics of writing
- Literature analysis and citing sources
- Reading comprehension and writing reports
9th Grade Science Curriculum
Students will automatically get assigned the biology course as their ninth grade science curriculum. But there are different sciences high schoolers can take in the order they prefer:
High School ElectivesHigh school education programs typically give students the opportunity to take various electives each year. Time4Learning’s high school curriculum is no different. With 14 elective courses available, students have a wide-range of subjects and topics they can choose from. Those include:
How to Homeschool a Ninth Grader
Knowing what to expect from a curriculum is great, but how do you present this information for your ninth-grader? We understand it can be stressful, so we are here to guide you through the process. We’ve included information on:
- Getting started
- Creating a plan and schedule
- A starter reading book list
- Tips, ideas and more!
Why Choose Time4Learning 9th Grade Homeschool Curriculum?
Parents with ninth-grade students often look for a complete curriculum to meet their state’s requirements and assuage their fears of dreaded learning gaps. High school is an important time in a person’s life while also establishing a learning base for future education and careers. Time4Learning offers a core curriculum with the four main subject areas: Math, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies. Additionally, electives are available, especially suited for the high school grades.
Further, high school can be a struggle if students are bored or the curriculum doesn’t meet their learning style. Time4Learning utilizes multiple learning formats to keep the lessons and assignments both interactive and engaging, while also designed to reach all learning styles.
Finally, the task of teaching and grading high school assignments can be inundating for parents, especially for those balancing work and homeschooling. Time4Learning is set up to teach your ninth-grader for you, with automated grading and simplified record-keeping. Parents will enjoy the freedom of ready-to-go lesson plans in addition to the flexibility to skip ahead in lessons if desired.