Homeschooling in North Carolina
If you are a North Carolina resident and will soon begin to homeschool in the state, you probably have many questions.
Below, we’ve organized core information and resources for homeschoolers in North Carolina.
- How to Start Homeschool in North Carolina
- North Carolina Homeschooling Laws
- North Carolina Homeschool Associations
- North Carolina Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in North Carolina
- North Carolina Homeschooling by City
- North Carolina Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in North Carolina
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in NC
The process for starting to homeschool in NC is simple and straightforward. To begin homeschooling any child who is at least seven years old , you will need to:
- File a notice of intent to homeschool with the NC Division of Nonpublic Education (NCDNPE)
- Submit proof that you, the parent, have a high school diploma (or equivalency)
- Name your school
- Choose an ideal curriculum for your family.
- Start enjoying learning together!
North Carolina Homeschooling Laws
To comply with NC homeschool laws, once your child turns seven a notice of intent needs to be filed with the NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE) and parents, guardians or teacher need to hold a high school diploma. Discover the steps on how to register for homeschool and requirements to homeschool in North Carolina.
North Carolina Homeschool Associations
As a state with a thriving population of homeschoolers, you’ll be happy to know that North Carolina is able to sustain a statewide homeschool organization. Learn more about this organization, the resources it offers, and other benefits of state-level homeschool support on our NC Homeschool Associations page. Learn more: North Carolina Homeschooling Associations
North Carolina Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Are you in the early stages of homeschooling in NC? Then you’ll definitely want to connect with other homeschoolers in your state. Head over to discover the different avenues you have for local and regional homeschool support in the Tarheel State on our NC Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page. Read more here: North Carolina Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Homeschool Field Trips in North Carolina
Once you’ve got the logistics of homeschooling down, it’s time to take advantage of all the benefits. Ask any veteran homeschooling family what they love about homeschooling, and it’s likely that frequent field trip opportunities will be high on their list. We’ve put together a terrific list of educational outings for families by geographic region. Explore them all over on our NC Homeschool Field Trips post. Please make sure to contact each site before you plan your visit, as COVID-19 may have impacted their hours of operations. Learn more: Homeschool Field Trips in North Carolina
North Carolina Homeschooling by CityHomeschooling in North Carolina can be an exciting experience for homeschoolers! If you live near one of the locations listed below, make sure to click on the links to explore and experience all that it has to offer.
North Carolina Standardized Testing and Test Prep
In North Carolina, homeschool law requires that each student take a nationally-normed test annually. Although these records aren’t required to be submitted to the NCDNPE, they are to be kept on record for one year. Families will be glad to hear that Time4Learning has multiple ways of helping students prepare for North Carolina’s standardized tests. Time4Learning’s curriculum not only provides standards-based instruction in the core subjects, but even offers practice test simulations in 3rd-8th grade.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in North Carolina
When it comes to homeschool curriculum, NC families have complete freedom to pick and choose programs and resources that will best fit the learning needs of their individual student. Time4Learning has been a popular choice for many families over the last decade. Here are a few of the reasons Time4Learning is one of the leading homeschool programs in NC:
- PreK-12th grade coursework is correlated to state standards and helps students get prepared for required annual testing.
- Members have access to 3,500+ multimedia lessons, printable worksheets and graded activities in a student-paced environment that brings concepts to life.
- It has a low monthly price, does not require a contract, and provides a money-back guarantee.
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime