Ask any parent new to homeschooling what the hardest part about homeschooling is and the most common answer is picking one or a combination of all the homeschool curriculum available that meets their child’s schooling needs.
Below are a few tips to lead you in the right direction of creating the perfect homeschool curriculum that fits your family best
Different Curriculum Types
Today’s families have many choices when it comes to homeschool education resources: state requirements, different curriculum programs, lesson formats, assessments, and worksheets. And when it comes to homeschool curriculum technology, the options are expansive: online books, workbooks, CD-ROMs, DVDs, audio files, interactive TV, lapbooks and more. What most families discover is that their family’s educational needs cannot be met by a single curriculum and that blending several homeschool programs and technology types can add variety to their child’s schooling.
Different Learning Styles
Children need a large amount of diverse activities to hold their attention and prevent boredom. By shifting from computer-based lessons to discussion, or from paper and pencil exercises to art projects, homeschooled children are more likely to stay engaged and benefit from different teaching methods.
Activity variety and movement are also contributing factors to a child’s learning styles. Make sure a child isn’t forced to sit through a particular activity for prolonged periods of time. Short successful bursts of educational instruction can keep children motivated and attentive throughout the day.
If working with more than one child, consider each student’s learning style and method preference. Many families find that what fits one child, may not fit another, or that what worked well one semester, may feel stale and stop working the next time around. It’s this quest to find the best curriculum for each student’s learning style which can cause parent and student frustration, not to mention be emotionally exhausting to create that perfect custom curriculum.
Which Curriculum Is Best For Your Child or Family
A successful homeschool curriculum program helps homeschooling parents build interesting and exciting days by combining interactive, animated activities, lessons and experiences.
A successful homeschool curriculum can be made up of the following approaches:
- Reviewing a set of subjects or courses to study to improve a skill set
- Adhering to a guided program or roadmap of studies to meet learning objectives
- Tangible, creative or technological materials to enhance the learning experience
- An engaging learning environment that includes external activities, communities or group-based learning
- Communication lead by parental guidance or interpersonal relationships with siblings or other homeschoolers
- Individual learner experiences as a result of homeschooling
Depending on a child’s or family’s learning style and the above preferred approaches, many parents end up using multiple types of homeschooling programs in order to maximize their child’s understanding and retention of the material. This mix and match homeschool curriculum to many helps each child reach their fullest potential according to each of their learning needs.
Time4Learning is vibrant, engaging, educational, and funny. It sure beats our previous homeschool curriculum which was textbook/workbook based.
Time4Learning is so effective that very little intervention is required. This works great if you’re homeschooling multiple children.
How to Mix Technology with Education In the Homeschool Environment
Homeschooling parents across the country are using technology enthusiastically to aid with teaching approaches on the computer. One resource type, an online learning system, has the ability to combine interactive lessons, multimedia reinforcement activities, printable worksheets and learning games.
Online educational software should be flexible and easy to use. And students should have the ability to work as much as they want every day, which aligns perfectly for homeschooling experience.
Key features of an online homeschool curriculum:
- Safe, secure, ad free, online learning environment
- Interactive software exercises for reinforcement and discovery learning of new materials
- Multimedia lessons that feel more like video games offering a fun way to present difficult concepts
- Short lessons that teach concepts which can be evaluated later with online quizzes and tests
- Automated record keeping or a portfolio to keep track of student usage and completion
- Homeschool portfolio reporting that turn into student transcripts
- Online lessons and quizzes that align with your homeschool curriculum goals
There is no single best homeschool curriculum that meets all of the educational needs of preschool through twelfth grade learners. But new approaches to teaching and learning can be adapted within your own environment while online educational tools can help you build interesting, diverse days.
This variety can help keep your children motivated, attentive, and look forward to what each homeschooling day has to offer.
Great Educational Curriculum for Homeschooling
Time4Learning is a great homeschool education partner because it offers each child their own learning path, with animated lessons, interactive activities, unit assessments, and integrated printable worksheets for reinforcement.
The Time4Learning program has been refined through years of feedback from educators, parents, and students. Animated lessons, interactive activities, printable worksheets, and detailed progress reports make this learning system an ongoing top selection of the Homeschool.com “Top 100 Educational Websites” list, year after year.
Time4Learning is a great homeschool curriculum choice for in children in Preschool, Grade School, Junior High and High School. Some parents use Time4Learning as supplementary while others use it as the primary homeschooling curriculum across the country enthusiastically, teaching on the computer.
Self-Paced Means Student-Paced
The Time4Learning curriculum gives preschool to twelfth graders who are homeschooled the independence they crave, as they progress at their own pace. Lessons are presented at the student’s pace by an automated system. And because very little parental assistance is required, our curriculum works great if you’re homeschooling more than one child.
The program also helps kids who are homeschooled advance, giving them the option to redo lessons and retake tests and quizzes by teaching with individualized learning paths that ensure skill mastery. To keep things interesting, Time4Learning provides printable worksheets for many activities to give students the option to do work on paper away from the computer. View the grade by grade curriculum overview to see what’s available and aligns to homeschool curriculum goals.
Key Features of An Interactive Homeschool Curriculum
The Time4Learning online learning system combines interactive lessons, multimedia reinforcement activities, printable worksheets, learning games, and assessments with reports into one homeschool curriculum.
Time4Learning’s homeschool curriculum has proven effective with over 3,500+ multimedia lessons, printable worksheets and graded activities in a student-paced environment that brings concepts to life. Math and language arts lessons correlated to state standards. Science, social studies and art are also provided as a bonus to most grades. Students may also add foreign language learning to their subscription for an additional fee.
Why Try Time4Learning Homeschool Curriculum
- Students get individual logins and work at their own pace which can lead to more effective learning
- Parents can set the grade levels independently for each subject so student learn at their own speed
- Member-only access to detailed printable lesson plans and homeschool teaching tools to review lesson contents
- Time-stamping feature on the activities for attendance and record keeping
- An automated grading feeds homeschool portfolio usage making record keeping simple.
- Detailed reporting for portfolio usage and parental support through our online Parent Forum
- Entirely web based, no software to download, no CDs and nothing additional to purchase.
- Affordable membership backed by a 14-day money-back guarantee. You can start, stop, or pause your membership at any time without penalty.