Homeschooling in Texas
Texas is a popular state for homeschoolers because it is low on regulations but high on opportunities for experiential learning. Not only are there hundreds of support groups throughout the state, but there are also even more educational field trips waiting to happen. Yet, with all that to look forward to, we know you still have concerns and are probably wondering things like, “Just how does homeschooling work in Texas?”
We want you to feel confident in your choice to start homeschooling in Texas. Below, you will find information that will guide you in the areas you are likely most eager to know about, including:
- How to Start Homeschooling In Texas
- Texas Homeschool Laws
- Texas Homeschool Associations
- Texas Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Texas Homeschool Field Trips
- Texas Homeschooling by City
- Texas Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Texas
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Texas
In order to legally homeschool your child in Texas you must:
- Officially withdraw your student from their current school if they are already enrolled.
- Provide legitimate instruction to the child.
- Choose your ideal curriculum. (In Texas, homeschool curriculum choice is up to the parent.)
- Curriculum must cover at least the following subjects: reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.
- Begin enjoying learning together!
Texas Homeschooling Laws
There are only a few basic legal requirements for homeschooling in Texas:
- The student must be educated in a bona fide manner by the parents
- The curriculum used should be visual in nature (such as textbooks, workbooks, online programs, etc.)
- The curriculum should include these subjects: reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and citizenship
Texas Homeschool Associations
Did you know that, as a Texas homeschooling family, you don’t have to go it alone? That’s right. Texas has not one, but two statewide homeschool associations for support, information, and even legal representation in case (rare, but possible) you have any legal problems related to teaching your child from home. Learn about these two organizations and what benefits you might receive from joining one or both of them. More info: Texas Homeschool Associations
Texas Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
In addition to state-level support, homeschooling families in Texas also have many local and regional support groups to lean on. Even in rural areas, homeschoolers can use online networks to link up with other families for sharing information, getting advice, and planning activities. You may find that having a local support net increases your confidence about the homeschool experience and bolsters your spirits when you go through inevitable “rough patches.” Learn more about group options and benefits on our Texas Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Homeschool Field Trips in Texas
Without a doubt, one of the best parts of homeschooling is the flexibility it offers you to learn by doing. Once you remove the classroom mindset and realize that learning can happen anywhere and everywhere you happen to be, a whole new world opens up for you and your children. This is especially true for Texas, where historical sites dot every part of the landscape and you have mountains, beaches, and prairies — all in one state! When you have the freedom as a homeschooler to throw the students in the car and head out on a learning adventure, why wouldn’t you? Let’s go field tripping! Learn more: Homeschool Field Trips in Texas
Texas Homeschooling by CityIf you live near any of Texas’ major cities, you may begin to see your city with all new eyes. When you’re homeschooling, you have time to explore and experience all that it has to offer. Click the links below to discover the specific opportunities you have in these Texas cities.
Texas Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Although homeschoolers aren’t required by law to do standardized testing, many families appreciate the opportunity to evaluate how their homeschooler is progressing in comparison with other students at their grade level. Most educational experts agree that testing is a measure of how well students comprehend and apply knowledge. They also agree that high standards are a worthy goal. If you’d like to know more about Texas state assessments and how to prepare for them, you can explore Time4Learning’s Texas STARR test page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Texas
Once you know how to enroll in homeschool in Texas, your next big step is figuring out how to choose the best homeschool curriculum to use. Whether you decide to go with a literature-based program, a textbook-based program, or an online curriculum, Texas families have unlimited options to mix and match the best curricula to meet each student’s needs. This is why Time4Learning is the leading online curriculum for homeschoolers in Texas:
- Time4Learning covers all the core subjects that are required by Texas homeschool law. Our PreK-12 online curriculum offers standards-based instruction in the required subjects–reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship–plus more.
- When it comes to record keeping, Time4Learning has parents covered! Time4Learning includes an automated reporting system which tracks test and lesson scores, time spent on each activity, completed lesson summaries, and more.
- Each student’s monthly subscription includes multimedia instruction in up to three grade levels at once, animated interactive lessons and printable worksheets for reinforcement.
- The flexible and accessible nature means that students can use Time4Learning in a variety of ways, such as learning during the summer, or filling in learning gaps during afterschool enrichment.
- It has a low monthly price, does not require a contract, and provides a money-back guarantee.
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime