First Grade Homeschool Curriculum and Lesson Plans
Going from kindergarten to the first grade is a big transition for students and parents alike. A first grade education builds on what a child has learned in kindergarten and sets the stage for future learning. Time4Learning’s homeschool first grade curriculum and lesson plans will empower you to reach your learning objectives for the year. Our corresponding lesson plans will help your family stay on track throughout your homeschool journey.
What Do First Graders Learn?
First grade students are expected to have an understanding and knowledge of basic skills in language arts, math, science, and social studies. This will help them expand on those skills and gain new ones quickly and easily.
Below are some of the skills and concepts that a first grade student will typically learn:
- Become an independent reader, improve their phonics, phonemic awareness, and comprehension
- Grammar skills including capitalization and punctuation
- Handwriting skills, writing their name as well as simple words and sentences
- Math skills such as adding and subtracting, identifying patterns and shapes
- How to make scientific observations and record these in writing, pictures and/or graphs
- Symbols that represent the U.S.
- Important figures and events in U.S. history
- The difference between living and nonliving things
- The importance of the sun in relation to Earth and living things
The Time4Learning first grade lesson plans pages can help you gain an understanding of what a first grade education should include.
What to Look for in a First Grade Homeschool Curriculum
Most first graders are about five or six years old and seeking independence as they explore the world around them, but they need help with some tasks. If you’re new to homeschooling and learning how to homeschool first grade, or simply looking for a new homeschool curriculum, it’s essential to keep these things in mind when choosing the right curriculum.
- Does the curriculum make learning fun and keep children engaged?
- Is the material taught in a clear way using real-world examples?
- Does it include reporting tools that make tracking progress easy?
- Are there plenty of opportunities for children to reinforce skills?
- Do the activities promote problem-solving skills?
Time4Learning’s First Grade Math Curriculum and Lesson Plans builds on the skills learned in kindergarten and will further your child’s knowledge and proficiency in mathematical skills such as:
- Addition and subtraction
- Currency and patterns
Language Arts Curriculum
Time4Learning’s First Grade Language Arts Curriculum and Lesson Plans will build on what your child already knows and further their skills and proficiency in language arts, including:
- Reading and writing skills
- Understanding of spelling rules
- Comprehension skills, and more
Time4Learning’s First Grade Science Curriculum and Lesson Plans will prepare your child with a solid foundation and understanding of concepts that will set the stage for further learning in the years to come in the areas of:
- Scientific observation
- Physical science
- Life science
- Earth science
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime