High School Personal Wellness Curriculum
A personal wellness class is designed to teach students about the various aspects of health and fitness. Throughout the course, students learn about all the components that go into being healthy including the different types of exercise as well as their benefits, nutrition, mental health, and so much more.
This page provides tons of helpful information including what you can expect your child to learn in a personal health and wellness class, the scope and sequence of a personal wellness class, and how the Time4Learning online wellness course can benefit your student.
Why Study Personal Wellness in High School?
Taking a personal wellness class can be of great benefit to every high school student. As your child matures and enters adulthood, it’s important that they know how to take care of both their physical and mental well being.
An online wellness course can help them become familiar with all the important factors that influence their physical and mental health. From learning the importance of physical activity and good nutrition to being familiar with coping with stress and knowing the basis of healthy relationships, studying personal wellness will give your child the knowledge to make good decisions now and in the future.
What Do You Learn in a High School Personal Wellness Class?
There is so much useful information that students learn when taking a health and wellness course. Beginning with the basics of health and fitness, students will learn about the benefits of physical activity and the principles of exercise. Students will also explore different conflict management strategies as well as discover refusal skills for handling peer pressure, all of which can help them make responsible decisions that will lead to personal success.
Mental health is another focus of a personal wellness class. Students will discover common sources of stress, the negative effects it has on their bodies, and healthy ways to reduce stress. High schoolers will also become familiar with the causes of mental health disorders, and learn strategies for coping with depression and anxiety.
Lastly, an online wellness course teaches about the risks and dangers that come from drug and alcohol use, and how they affect families and communities. Students will also explore various illnesses and communicable diseases, how they are spread, and what they can do to protect themselves.
High School Personal Wellness Curriculum Scope & Sequence
- Your Fitness Log
- Health and Wellness
- A Healthy Lifestyle
- Physical Fitness Basics
- Physical Activity Benefits
- Principles of Exercise
- Health-related Fitness
- Fitness Evaluation
- Setting Healthy Goals
- Your Fitness Plan
- First Aid
- Environmental Conditions and Safety
- Environmental Health
- Lifetime Fitness
- Conflict Management
- Peer Pressure and Refusal Skills
- Time Management
- Making Consumer Choices
- Dealing with Consumer Issues
- The Skeletal, Muscular, and Nervous Systems
- Stability & Range of Motion
- Muscular Strength and Endurance
- Developing Muscular Strength and Endurance
- Safe Weight Training
- Factors Influencing Flexibility
- Physical Activity and Flexibility
- The Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
- Developing Cardiorespiratory Fitness
- Exploring Activities for Cardiorespiratory Fitness
- Participating in Sports
- Common Sports Injuries and Prevention
- Treatment for Common Sports Injuries
- Cumulative Exam
- The Digestive and Urinary Systems
- Healthy Body Composition
- Determining and Controlling Body Composition
- Body Image and Eating Disorders
- Food and Health
- Nutritional Needs
- The Endocrine and Reproductive Systems
- Abstinence and Contraceptives
- Risks of Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Common Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Defining Communicable Diseases
- Preventing Communicable Diseases
- Common Communicable Diseases
- Evaluating Mental and Emotional Health
- Mental Health Disorders
- Anxiety, Depression, and Suicide
- Stress and Health
- Coping with Stress
- Healthy Friendships
- Family Relationships
- Responding to Violence and Abuse
- Using Tobacco
- Dangers of Tobacco
- Using Alcohol
- Alcohol and the Body
- Drugs as Medicine
- Illegal Drugs
- Drug Use Risks
- Cumulative Exam
Why Choose Time4Learning’s High School Personal Wellness Curriculum?
There are many reasons to choose Time4Learning’s online wellness course. In addition to covering important concepts in health and fitness, the Time4Learning personal wellness class teaches students using a fun, interactive approach that includes rich graphics, charts, diagrams, animations, and interactive tools. The flexible approach allows high school students to work independently as well as learn and progress at their own pace.
Below are even more features and benefits you’ll enjoy when you choose Time4Learning’s award-winning curriculum.
- Embedded journal activities and reading assignments help students strengthen their literacy skills
- Comprehensive course includes material for an entire year (two semesters)
- Guiding question begins every lesson to help promote inquiry and activate prior knowledge.
- Course is made up of 8 chapters with more than 400 activities that help students meet important objectives.
- Video lessons include experienced teachers that guide students through each lesson
- Ability to redo lessons, and retake tests and quizzes helps students gain further understanding and improve their grades.
- Flexible curriculum can be used as your main homeschool curriculum, for afterschool skill building, or for summer learning.
- Members can add additional courses or change courses at any time so students can review previous material, get a head start, or challenge themselves with new topics.
- Interactive, self-paced approach works with all types of learning styles, gifted children and students with special needs.
- Access to templates for transcripts, high school diplomas, and more.
- Activity planners and curriculum calculators help students plan and promote independent learning.
- No schedules to follow means that students can log in when it’s most convenient for them.
- Lesson plans provide detailed information on every lesson and allow parents to preview activities.