Homeschooling in Arizona
Arizona is a popular state for homeschoolers because of the amount of freedom offered, but also because of the resources offered. There are plenty of support groups offered throughout the state, and plenty of educational opportunities available. Yet, with all that to look forward to, we know you might still have concerns and may be wondering, “just how does homeschooling work in Arizona?”
We want you to feel confident in your choice to start homeschooling in Arizona. You are likely eager to know about how to enroll, where to find support, and even which curriculum may be best for your student(s). Let’s get this homeschool adventure started!
- How to Homeschool in AZ
- Arizona Homeschooling Laws
- Arizona Homeschool Associations
- Arizona Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in Arizona
- Arizona Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Arizona
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in Arizona
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Homeschool in Arizona
Follow these steps to begin homeschooling in Arizona:
- Submit a notarized affidavit of intent to homeschool to the county school superintendent within 30 days of starting to homeschool
- Choose the best homeschool curriculum mix for each student you will be homeschooling. Your chosen curriculum must at least cover the following subjects
- Social studies
- Start having fun learning together!
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.
Arizona Homeschooling Laws
A few of the homeschool laws parents in Arizona need to know about include:
- All children ages 6 to 16 must attend school under compulsory education laws, and home education is one way to fulfill this obligation.
- You must submit a notarized affidavit of your intent to homeschool to the superintendent’s office of the student’s home county school district.
- If you end your period of homeschooling you must notify your superintendent’s office within 30 days of enrolling in another school (unless your student has graduated).
To learn more about staying compliant, visit our Arizona Homeschooling Laws page.
Arizona Homeschool Associations
Arizona has a large and growing population of homeschoolers and is fortunate enough to have a statewide organization with the goal of providing information, resources, and events to families choosing this educational path.
To find out more about this organization and its potential benefits, visit our Arizona Homeschool Associations page.
Arizona Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
In addition to a statewide association for homeschoolers, Arizona also offers many local and regional support groups. Whether you are looking for support online or groups or cooperatives that meet in person, there is plenty of support for homeschooling families in Arizona.
Start your search for the right group for you on our Arizona Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Arizona Homeschool Field Trips
Homeschooling isn’t all lessons and instruction, of course. Home education offers families the flexibility to learn when, where, and how they determine best. And for many families, that includes abundant opportunities to take their homeschool on the road for day trips and excursions that allow for hands-on, experiential learning. Discover field trip opportunities by region on our Homeschool Field Trips in Arizona post.
Arizona Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Although homeschoolers in Arizona aren’t required by law to complete standardized testing, many families appreciate the opportunity to evaluate how their homeschooler is progressing in comparison with other students at his or her grade level. While rarely a favorite activity for students, most educational experts agree that testing is a measure of how well students comprehend and apply knowledge. They also agree that high standards are a worthy goal. Time4Learning’s standards-based curriculum builds the skills that students are tested on standardized tests.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Arizona
In Arizona, homeschool curriculum choice is completely up to parents and students. So, it’s important to understand what programs will best fit your individual student’s needs and your overall homeschool goals and budget. A few of the reasons that Time4Learning is an ever-popular curriculum choice for Arizona families include:
- Children love using the computer to learn. Time4Learning is a convenient, online homeschool curriculum that combines education with interactive fun.
- Time4Learning covers all the core subjects that are required by Arizona homeschool law. Our PreK-12 online curriculum offers standards-based instruction in language arts, math, social studies, science, and more.
- Self-paced, modularized lesson plans allow you to move forward and back through the materials whenever you want.
- You can skip lessons that teach concepts your child has already mastered and repeat those he or she has not. The choice is yours!
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
Homeschool curriculum choices have expanded over the last decade. Parents have much more to choose from than typical textbooks, workbooks, and other traditional schooling methods. Online courses, interactive videos, personal computers, laptops, and tablet devices provide exciting and engaging materials for children to experience. But all of these new methods often confused parents, especially those who are new homeschoolers. Eventually, parents come to realize that mixing different tools and activities usually keeps their children stimulated and eager to learn. For more information, review How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12.
Arizona Unit Study Supplement
Help your homeschooler learn interesting history and geography facts about Arizona in the Time4Learning unit study supplement.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online after school program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos to discover why thousands of Arizonan families are already using it!
Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.