There will be a moment in your first weeks of homeschooling (if you haven’t already experienced it) when you suddenly begin to question what you were thinking when you decided to go on this adventure! This is a totally natural feeling that comes with taking on a new responsibility. But it is also a time when a supportive shoulder and friendly advice is especially appreciated.
That’s where local support groups come in. If you haven’t already located your closest support group, this page will guide you toward where to look for Louisiana homeschool groups, some unique types of groups to be aware of, and the benefits of joining one or more groups in your area.
Louisiana Homeschool Support Groups
In recent years, the majority of homeschool support groups have moved away from dedicated websites and toward Facebook communities, since that’s where most parents are already hanging out.
Although some of the longest-running or largest homeschool groups may be searchable on the web, your best bet for locating local support is by beginning with a Facebook search. Keywords such as the name of your city, county, or region, along with terms like “homeschool” or “home educators” will often yield the best results.
To get you started with your search, here is a list of some of the existing Facebook groups for homeschoolers in Louisiana you should know about:
Louisiana Homeschool Co-ops
As a homeschool support group grows and flourishes, sometimes parents in the group agree to add a new dimension called a homeschool cooperative (or co-op). The idea behind a co-op is to create a regular time and place for homeschool students to meet together for learning and extracurricular experiences. Courses like physical education, music, and lab science are examples of learning opportunities that are often best experienced by several students at once.
Every homeschool co-op will be operated differently and will have a unique focus, so it’s important to research a co-op well before deciding to join. Some of the questions you might want to ask when choosing a co-op are:
- Where and how often do you meet?
- Are parents required to volunteer as teachers?
- What are the yearly dues?
- Is the co-op secular, Christian, or inclusive?
- If it is a Christian cooperative, do you require a signed statement of faith?
- What type of courses might be offered?
- Does the co-op organize field trips for students?
- What ages/grade levels are eligible to attend?
Benefits of Joining a Homeschool Group or Co-op
In addition to being a source of support when you feel overwhelmed during your homeschool journey, local groups and co-ops have a multitude of benefits for both parents and students. Below is a list of advantages of homeschool support that you may or may not have considered.
Benefits of Joining a Homeschool Group
- Homeschoolers can meet other students who are schooling the way they are
- Pre-scheduled group activities such as field trips, clubs, spelling bees, and P.E. bring variety to the homeschool week
- Parents will have opportunities to ask questions of other veteran homeschooling families
- Most groups have an online presence such as an email chain or Facebook group where you can easily search for information
Benefits of Joining a Homeschool Co-op
- Leveraging the talents of other parents means access to courses and subjects you might not have been able to teach at home
- Regular interactions with the same group of students weekly leads to friendships and camaraderie between homeschoolers
- Exposure to different teaching styles helps homeschoolers prepare for later school/college experiences
Additional Resources for Homeschooling in Louisiana
Have other questions about homeschooling in Louisiana? You may find the following pages helpful.
- Homeschooling in Louisiana
- Louisiana Homeschooling Laws
- Louisiana Homeschool Associations
- Homeschool Field Trips in Louisiana
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.