2nd Grade Online Math Curriculum
Time4Learning understands how important the choice of a second grade math curriculum is for families. Not only is second grade a time to review the foundational skills learned in first grade math, but it is a launchpad for multiplication and for understanding how numbers are used in everyday life.
The major math strands for second grade curriculum are number sense and operations, algebra, geometry and spatial sense, measurement, and data analysis and probability. Time4Learning teaches a comprehensive 2nd grade math curriculum using fun, second grade math activities to build a solid math foundation.
On this page, you will get an overview of what your child should know going into the new school year, as well as the upcoming math objectives for 2nd grade. You’ll also get tips and tricks on helping your second grader make the most of mathematics this year.
What Math Should a 2nd Grader Know?
By the time they have finished first grade, students have begun to understand the relationships between numbers and have started to recognize mathematical patterns. Second graders become adept at one and two-digit addition and subtraction and have learned a variety of methods for solving mathematical problems.
Some of the key math concepts a second grader should know include:
- Read and write numerals to 100 and to count objects to 100 or more
- Addition and subtraction of two-digit numbers without regrouping, up to 100, using models and algorithms
- Explore number patterns on a hundred chart and with a calculator
- Combine shapes to form others shapes and find geometric shapes in real-life situations
- Learn and compare money values including the quarter (25 cents), half-dollar (50 cents), and dollar (100 cents)
The ideal math curriculum for second grade will continue to build on these skills and expand on to new ones while making learning fun and motivating them to continue to learn.
Math objectives for 2nd grade
In second grade, students continue with more sophisticated approaches to addition and subtraction and begin understanding the patterns leading to multiplication. Simple fractions are also introduced this year. Geometric learning extends a student’s understanding of shapes and their parts.
Some of the key goals for second grade math include:
- Understanding the meaning, uses, and representations for numbers
- Computing addition and subtraction facts accurately
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using appropriate techniques, tools, units, and formulas in making measurements
- Investigating the properties and characteristics of two and three dimensional geometric shapes
Why Choose Time4Learning Second Grade Math Homeschool Curriculum
Time4Learning offers families an affordable and engaging way to help students gain the core mathematics skills they need in second grade. Math doesn’t have to be stressful or frustrating.
Using the power of multimedia and a student-centered approach, the curriculum allows learners to progress at their own pace while keeping them entertained and motivated.
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement