First Grade Curriculum Overview
This section provides a summary of the key first grade curriculum and learning objectives for language arts, math, science and social studies. Under each is a more detailed description of what children learn in first grade subjects, including detailed lesson descriptions of Time4Learning learning activities.
This page provides:
- Language Arts and Reading Lesson Descriptions
- Language Arts Extensions Curriculum Description
- First Grade Vocabulary Curriculum Description
- Math Lesson Curriculum Descriptions
- Science Lesson Curriculum Descriptions
- Social Studies Lesson Curriculum Descriptions
- First Grade Educational Resources
Keep reading to learn how Time4Learning can be used as part of your first grade homeschool portfolio.
Overview of First Grade Learning Milestones
First grade is a year of highly visible progress in reading and language arts. The four major milestones in first grade reading and language arts are:
- Knowing the names and sounds of all the consonants and vowels
- Understanding phonics concepts such as consonant combinations
- Following along, reading, and summarizing simple stories with pictures
- Developing an understanding of composition
First grade is also a year of exploration and discovery of the numbers in the world around us. Five major milestones for first grade math include:
- Counting to 100 by 1’s and skip counting
- Knowing the addition math facts
- Adding and subtracting small numbers
- Understanding the value of money
- Knowing the units for measurement, time, and weightKnowing the names and sounds of all the consonants and vowels
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where you hear from experienced homeschoolers how they got started. Plus, additional insights on how to get to know your child academically, how to plan your days, and much more.
First Grade Language Arts & Reading Curriculum Overview
The Time4Learning curriculum constitutes a solid first grade language arts program correlated to state standards, which many homeschool parents use it as their entire curriculum. Non-homeschoolers utilize the lessons for extra practice, an online first grade tutorial, or summer enrichment. First grade language arts is organized into two large sections: Language Arts and Language Arts Extensions.
- The language arts section contains 13 chapters and hundreds of learning activities that are primarily based on phonics.
- Exercises and lesson activities build phonological awareness, phonics, and reading skills.
- Lessons are taught by colorful animated characters that sing, explain, and interact with the students.
- First graders learn to identify the sight and sounds and demonstrate knowledge of high frequency words.
- Reading exercises at the end of each chapter introduce and develop readiness and comprehension skills.
- Interactive “think and respond” stories help build sight word vocabulary, sound-spelling skills and reading comprehension.
The language arts is GREAT for helping with phonics and beginner reading skills. Plus, the lessons are thoroughly entertaining!
Language arts lessons are organized into a series of chapters that introduce and cover:
First Grade Language Extensions Curriculum Overview
Language arts extensions is a component of the complete language arts curriculum. Most homeschooling parents have their child complete both the language arts and language arts extensions because they correlate to state standards. Non-homeschoolers use the language arts lessons for additional practice, summer enrichment or as a first grade language arts tutorial. Since members have access to both, they can use the activities in the way that best fits their needs.
- Each chapter starts with a story that introduces vocabulary, develops reading skills and enhances phonemic awareness
- Learning activities focused on discovery, recognition, and application
- First graders learn to generate ideas, demonstrate comprehension of a theme, create graphic organizers and write diary entries
- At the end of each chapter, the “Story Creator” teaches first graders to apply their knowledge and use their reading skills to compose grammatically correct sentences and stories
The language arts extension chapters include 22 chapters covering:
- 1. Pollution
- 2. Oceans
- 3. Weather
- 4. The Sun
- 5. Planets
- 6. Constellations
- 7. Native Americans
- 8. Early America
- 9. America Grows
- 10. Plants
- 11. Biomes
- 12. Vertebrates & Invertebrates
- 13. Farm Animals
- 14. Mammals
- 15. Marine Animals
- 16. Seasons seasons
- 17. Cultural Holidays
- 18. Safety
- 19. Neighborhoods
- 20. Jobs in your Neighborhood
- 21. Travel
- 22. Values
First Grade Vocabulary Curriculum Overview
Time4Learning’s first grade vocabulary exercises integrate sight word vocabulary with the sounds of the alphabet in decodable stories. Lesson activities cover:
- First grade vocabulary words presented within the context of a story or rhyme.
- First grade vocabulary lessons part of 22 thematic units covering oceans, seasons, mammals, plants, early America, and more.
Students improve reading comprehension by reading or listening to literature with an emphasis on vocabulary building. Teacher’s guides include lesson plans, first grade vocabulary lists and optional printable vocabulary worksheets.
First Grade Math Curriculum Overview
The first grade math curriculum contains numerous math lessons, along with printable worksheets, quizzes and chapter tests. It constitutes a solid first grade math program, correlated to state standards, which is important to many homeschooling families. Afterschool users utilize the program as an alternative to a first grade math tutor, for test preparation, or for extra practice. First grade math activities cover and include:
- Animated characters that present first grade math lessons in bite sized pieces perfect for student pacing
- Chapter that build instruction based on the last.
- Guided activities through fractions, order of operations, basic algebra, metrics, spatial sense, graphing and probability using interactive prompts and funny stories to bring the lessons to life.
Math lessons are organized into 18 chapters that introduce and cover:
With Time4Learning, math lessons are taught by engaging characters in colorful, fun activities.
First graders learn about "parts of a whole" from Sally and Pong in "The Art of Fractions" lesson.
First Grade Science Curriculum Overview
The first grade science curriculum contains several lessons, along with worksheets and quizzes, covering a number of topics. Homeschooling families use the curriculum as a supplement to their homeschooling approach while non-homeschoolers use it for afterschool review, as a first grade online tutorial, or for summer enrichment. Science lessons are organized into chapters that introduce and cover:
- Living and Nonliving Things – Students will learn how to distinguish between living and nonliving things by exploring habitats, basic needs, features, and life cycles. Lessons will focus on the classification of animals into scientific categories, with a feature on amphibians.
- Earth Science – Students will be shown how to use graphic organizers to show weather patterns and identify seasons. Lessons also cover thunderstorms and the water cycle.
- Contributions to Science – Jane Goodall is featured as a contributor to science, allowing children to explore her experience working with chimpanzees in Africa.
- The Surface of the Earth – Students learn about the solid materials making up the Earth.
First Grade Social Studies Curriculum Overview
First graders are given access to the second grade social studies lessons as part of their membership. Second grade social studies is the lowest level available on Time4Learning. This social studies program consists of lessons covering American identity, basic human survival needs, maps and globes, historic places, cultural holidays, patriotism, and jobs. The curriculum is commonly used as a second grade social studies tutorial, for extra practice, or as a homeschool supplement. Learn more lesson by lesson details by reading our second grade social studies lesson plans. Don’t wait? Sign up for Time4Learning and start learning today!
In first grade science, Bo learns about amphibians in Slimy Swamp Animals.
In the lesson, students learn about different creatures and their habitats.
First Grade Educational Resources
If you’re interested in educating your first grader, you might also be interested in:
- Our lesson planning worksheet can help you estimate how many lessons to have your child do each day
- First grade writing skills and standards by Time4Writing
- Homeschooling a first grader
- Using Time4Learning online curriculum for Afterschool or Summer School
- First Grade Vocabulary and Spelling Lists – a free website that offers a fun and easy way to practice vocabulary and spelling words. Create your spelling list using the vocabulary words below and let SpellingCity teach them, use them in games and test your kids on them
The Time4Learning Program Structure
Time4Learning has been refined through years of feedback from educators, parents, and students. The Time4Learning’s online curriculum has proven effective with over 3,500+ multimedia lessons, printable worksheets and graded activities in a student-paced environment that brings concepts to life. Math and language arts lessons correlate to state standards. Science, social studies and art are also provided to most grades. Students may also add foreign language learning to their subscription for an additional fee.