Homeschooling in Indiana
Not only is homeschooling in Indiana legal, but minimal regulations for homeschooling mean that you can get started any time you decide you are ready. Of course, you’ll want to do your research first, to make sure you have the best possible experience. Below, you’ll find information that addresses most of the questions you have such as how to homeschool in Indiana, where to find support, and what you should look for in an Indiana homeschool curriculum.
- How to Start Homeschooling in Indiana
- Indiana Homeschooling Laws
- Indiana Homeschool Associations
- Indiana Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Indiana Homeschool Field Trips
- Indiana Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Indiana
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in Indiana
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Indiana
Kindergarten is not compulsory in Indiana, but once your child is 7 years of age or older, you can begin teaching your child at any time by following these steps to homeschooling in Indiana:
- Withdraw your student from his/her school (if currently enrolled)
- Choose whether or not to register your student with the Department of Education (it is not legally mandatory)
- Choose your students learning materials (in Indiana, homeschool curriculum choice is up to the parents)
- Start having fun learning together!
Indiana Homeschooling Laws
The regulations on homeschooling in Indiana are minimal, there are only four mandates that apply to those families educating at home:
- A homeschool year should include 180 days of instruction.
- Homeschool instruction should be in the English language.
- Parents must keep attendance records.
- Instruction should be equivalent to that provided in the public schools.
For more details about homeschool laws in Indiana and how to comply with them, visit our Indiana Homeschool Laws page.
Indiana Homeschool Associations
Indiana is fortunate enough to have two statewide associations dedicated to supporting the journey of homeschooling families. Head over to our Indiana Homeschool Associations page to find out more about those organizations and the resources they can offer your family.
Indiana Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Once you’ve made the decision to homeschool, one of your very next steps should be to seek out a network of other homeschool families. Indiana has a strong and vibrant homeschool population and there are support groups and homeschool cooperatives available in many areas of the state. Also, you can also get help and advice via virtual homeschool groups, such as the Indiana homeschool community on Time4Learning’s family forum. You may want to begin your search for local support on our Indiana Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Indiana Homeschool Field Trips
You are probably already aware of the many advantages of teaching your child at home, but one more to consider is how much flexibility you have to integrate hands-on learning into your child’s lessons. By heading out to explore all the geological, historical, and cultural destinations Indiana has to offer, you will add a whole new dimension to your child’s education. We’ll help get you started on your list of places to visit with the ideas in our Homeschool Field Trips in Indiana post. Please make sure to contact each site before you plan your visit, as COVID-19 may have impacted their hours of operations.
Indiana State Test Prep
Many families find benefit in regularly assessing their students. Not only can testing give you a better sense of where your child’s learning stands on specific subjects, but it can also highlight gaps in instruction or retention. You’ll be happy to know that Time4Learning curriculum not only provides standards-based instruction in the core subjects, but even offers practice test simulations in 3rd-8th grade. Learn more in our Indiana test prep page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Indiana
Whether it’s traditional textbooks, literature units, interactive apps, or online school, Indiana homeschoolers have complete freedom to pick and choose the curriculum that fits their child(ren) best. Time4Learning has become an increasingly popular choice for homeschool families in Indiana. Here are just a few of the reasons why:
- The curriculum incorporates multiple types of learning opportunities in each subject such as interactive lessons, printable worksheets, quizzes, and tests.
- An educational playground helps motivate students and break up lesson periods.
- Parents have access to a host of support tools like detailed reports of their student’s progress, additional teaching helps, and the ability to preview lessons and lesson plans.
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
Because they have control over their choice of home school programs, Indiana home educators can blend the best of many different curricula to create a customized education for each homeschooler. Parents have much more to choose from than typical textbooks, workbooks, and other traditional schooling methods. Online courses, interactive videos, laptops, and mobile devices provide exciting and engaging ways for children to experience education. But these technological methods often confuse parents, especially those who are new to homeschooling. Eventually, parents come to realize that mixing different tools and activities usually keeps their children stimulated and eager to learn. For more information, review How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12.
Indiana Unit Study Supplement
Help your homeschooler learn interesting history and geography facts about Indiana in the Time4Learning unit study supplement.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online after school program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos and discover why thousands of Indiana families are already using it!
Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.