5th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Fifth grade language arts continues to build on the language, vocabulary, writing and reading comprehension skills that students have been learning throughout elementary school. This year, students will learn grade-appropriate vocabulary and expand their knowledge on topics like synonyms, antonyms, prefixes and suffixes, just to name a few. In addition, they will learn a number of grammar skills including the correct use of perfect verb tenses, correlative conjunctions, transitions, and more.
This page provides tons of information on what a fifth grade language arts curriculum should teach, what a 5th grader should know, the various 5th grade language arts objectives, and more.
What Language Arts Concepts Should a 5th Grader Know
This year, students will be learning new language arts skills as well as building their knowledge and mastery on previously learned concepts. In order to do that, students should be comfortable reading and answering questions on a wide variety of texts in a number of different themes and topics. In addition, their writing skills should allow them to create concrete ideas complete with supporting details.
Typically, 5th grade language arts students should be able to:
- Use pronouns in subjective and objective case
- Use reference material such as dictionaries, glossaries, and thesauruses
- Apply knowledge and information from texts to make inferences
- Decode words using prefixes and suffixes
- Identify and summarize the theme/main idea of a story
Discover everything that is included in Time4Learning’s 5th grade language arts scope and sequence here.
Reading Goals/Objectives for 5th Grade
In fifth grade, students read a mix of literary and informational texts to strengthen their reading fluency and comprehension skills as well as expand their vocabulary.
Below are just some of the reading goals that fifth grade language arts activities should help your child achieve.
- Summarize and paraphrase information from a text
- Read and interpret charts, graphs and other graphic representations in a text
- Analyze a writer’s point of view and compare points of view from various writers on the same topic
Learn more about Time4Learning’s reading curriculum and how it helps your child achieve their academic goals.
Writing Goals/Objectives for 5th Grade
Writing skills will continue to be polished and built upon this year. A fifth grade language arts curriculum will help students learn and master tons of new writing concepts including the following:
- Use interjections, prepositions and conjunctions for more descriptive and elaborate writing
- Understand each of the five stages of the writing process: planning, drafting, revising, editing, publishing
- Write a narrative complete with an event, narrator and characters
Learn more about how an online writing course can help enhance your child’s sentence writing, mechanics and more.
Grammar Goals/Objectives for 5th Grade
Fifth grade language arts activities should provide students with plenty of opportunities to learn and practice new grammar skills in order to enhance their writing and communication. Below are some of the grammar goals and objectives that a 5th grade language arts curriculum should help your child achieve.
- Use punctuation in titles correctly with proper capitalization, quotation marks, underscore, and italics
- Use correlative conjunctions correctly in a sentence: not only/but also, either/or, neither/nor
- Use perfect verb tense correctly and understand how they convey time of events
Learn more about the importance of grammar and the grammar skills your child will learn throughout the years with an effective homeschool grammar curriculum.
Why Choose Time4Learning Fifth Grade Language Homeschool Curriculum
Learning grammar, writing, comprehension and vocabulary skills are a crucial part of a 5th grade education. It’s important that students build on what they already know and learn more advanced concepts as they complete their elementary education and head into middle school.
The Time4Learning 5th grade language arts curriculum offers students a comprehensive education that correlates to all state standards. Our award-winning, online curriculum makes learning all the necessary language arts skills fun thanks to interactive and engaging activities and lessons.
Whether you plan on using our 5th grade language arts curriculum as your core homeschool curriculum or as a supplement, below are just some of the features and benefits you can expect.
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement