Homeschooling in Rhode Island
Did an unforeseeable circumstance turn you into an accidental homeschooler? Or, perhaps you’ve been planning to homeschool all along, and your child has now gotten old enough to begin his or her schooling. Either way, if you are planning on homeschooling in Rhode Island, you likely have plenty of questions. This resource from Time4Learning is for you.
Whether you’re interested in the legal requirements you’ll need to follow, how to enroll in homeschool in Rhode Island, where to locate a local support system, or are even needing ideas on educational outings in the Ocean State, we’re ready to help. Browse the sections below to find the guidance you need most for this grand adventure you are about to begin.
- How to Start Homeschooling in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Homeschooling Laws
- Rhode Island Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Rhode Island Homeschool Field Trips
- Rhode Island Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Rhode Island
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in Rhode Island
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Rhode Island
The steps to homeschooling in Rhode Island aren’t difficult. Here’s what you need to do:
- Notify your local school district committee of your intent to homeschool.
- Receive confirmation from the committee of your approval.
- Formally withdraw your child from his or her current school (if applicable)
- Teach the required subjects.
- Start having fun learning together at home!
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.
Rhode Island Homeschooling Laws
The state laws relating to homeschool programs in Rhode Island are minimal. Homeschooling families must:
- Notify their local school district committee of their intent to homeschool and receive approval prior to beginning.
- Carry out homeschool instruction for a period substantially equal to that of public schools
- Teach (in English) the subjects of reading, writing, geography, arithmetic, US history, Rhode Island history, and civics
- Keep and maintain an attendance register for each homeschooled child
Local school districts may have additional requirements beyond the ones specified by the state. For more information on legally homeschooling, visit the Rhode Island Homeschool Laws page.
Rhode Island Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Just because you are now in charge of your child’s education doesn’t mean that you are alone on this journey. Rhode Island has a vibrant system of support networks for families who are homeschooling. Discover more about what to expect from participating with a local support organization in our Rhode Island Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Rhode Island Homeschool Field Trips
One of the most exciting perks of homeschooling is the freedom and flexibility to take your learning with you wherever you go. Some of your child’s most memorable home education experiences will be the extracurricular ones. To inspire you to think outside the four walls of your home, we’ve provided a list of Rhode Island educational field trip ideas by region.
Rhode Island Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Although state laws in Rhode Island do not require that homeschoolers take annual standardized tests, many families choose to participate in testing in order to track their student’s progress year to year. Other families use testing as a tool to help indicate if there are specific gaps in their child’s learning. If testing is something you plan to have your child participate in, Time4Learning’s standards-based online curriculum is the ideal preparation. Time4Learning’s curriculum also provides test prep practice in specific elementary level grades. Learn more on our Rhode Island test prep page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Rhode Island
Not only is home education becoming increasingly popular throughout the state, but many families are turning to online homeschooling in Rhode Island every year. Perhaps because of how engaged the younger generations are with technology, parents prefer this method.
Because homeschooling in Rhode Island requires parents to teach certain subjects and maintain records, it is important to choose a curriculum that will help you meet these requirements.
Time4Learning has long been one of the nation’s most popular online curriculum options. Why might it be the best choice for your family? Here are a few reasons that thousands of homeschoolers have chosen this multimedia, interactive program as their core for Rhode Island homeschool classes.
- Membership includes all core subjects math, language arts, science, and social studies at an affordable price. Additional subjects are also available to certain grades.
- Children love using the computer to learn. Time4Learning is a convenient, online homeschool curriculum that combines education with interactive fun.
- Time4Learning’s parent dashboard makes keeping up with your child’s progress straightforward with at-a-glance updates as well as printable reports.
- Lesson planning is automatically done for you, so all you have to worry about is making your child’s learning experience the best possible. However, you can tweak whenever you please.
- Our self-paced and flexible curriculum allows students to work on different grade levels so they can move forward or repeat lessons as they build mastery.
- Although Time4Learning lessons are online, our curriculum includes tons of printables and hands-on activities to support our lessons and keep your child motivated to learn.
- The engaging curriculum for grades PreK-12 helps build critical thinking and problem solving skills.
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
There are hundreds of options for homeschool curriculum in Rhode Island, with new programs appearing all the time. Narrowing down the best program for your homeschooler can be overwhelming, especially for new homeschoolers.
Over time, most families discover that their child(ren) thrive educationally by mixing different tools and activities that keep them stimulated and eager to learn. For more information on this, explore How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online after school program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos and discover why thousands of families in Rhode Island are already using it!
Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.