How to Start Homeschooling In New York City
It’s not just a rumor; Knickerbockers homeschool, too! So, when you are ready to take the plunge yourself, you’ll have plenty of questions. You’ll likely be wondering things like, “What homeschool laws apply to people in New York City?” or “Exactly how do I get started homeschooling in NYC?”
On this page, we’ll address many of the questions you have about beginning your homeschool journey in the Big Apple. Welcome to homeschooling in New York City!
How to Homeschool in New York City
Many parents wonder: “Can I homeschool my child in New York City?” The answer is “yes,” and here’s how:
- Submit a homeschooling letter of intent to the NYC DoE Office of Homeschooling by July 1st or within 14 days of starting to homeschool if you start midyear. (The letter should include your name, your child’s name, your child’s date of birth, and your home address.)
- Submit an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) by Aug 15 (or within 4 weeks if you start homeschooling midyear).
- Choose the best homeschool curriculum that will cover the required subjects in New York.
- Maintain attendance records for each child in your homeschool which show an equivalent instruction of 180 days a year and 900 hours for K-6, 990 hours for 7-12.
- Submit student(s) annual assessments with their final quarterly report. In New York City, that paperwork is filed with the Director of the Central Office of Homeschooling.
- Have fun learning together!
New York City homeschooling requirements are governed at the state level. For more information on the above requirements, explore the homeschool laws of New York State here!
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
Time4Learning Homeschool Curriculum for New York City
When you are ready to take control of your child’s education, you want a curriculum that covers the most important bases such as:
- Standards-based lessons and assessments that meet or exceed New York City’s homeschooling requirements (governed at state level)
- Individual learning paths that meet each child’s specific needs
- Automated grading and recordkeeping that keep new homeschooling parents from feeling overwhelmed
- Built-in lesson plans for easy set up and organization of your homeschool year
- Keeps homeschooling costs for New York City manageable with a low monthly subscription price
Time4Learning’s award-winning program includes New York’s required core subjects:
Our full curriculum combines the technology that kids and teens love with the education that prepares them for graduation and beyond. Explore our elementary, middle school, and high school programs to discover how Time4Learning can make your child’s homeschool experience a success from the start.
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime