Homeschooling In Iowa
Families in Iowa have several options for homeschooling their children. If you live in or are planning to move to the Hawkeye State, you are probably wondering how to begin homeschooling in Iowa and what the steps to homeschooling are. Wonder no more. This page will guide you through the process of getting started, inform you on the rules and guidelines for each homeschooling option, fill you in on support group information and so much more!
- How to Start Homeschooling in Iowa
- Iowa Homeschooling Laws
- Iowa Homeschool Associations
- Iowa Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in Iowa
- Iowa Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Iowa
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Iowa
Depending on the option you choose to homeschool under, the steps to getting started will vary. However, most options share in the following:
- Choose the homeschooling option that best works for you.
- Withdraw your student from school if he or she is currently enrolled in order to avoid truancy.
- Choose the ideal curriculum for your family.
- Teach the required subjects, for the required number of days or submit annual assessments.
- Begin enjoying homeschooling together.
Iowa Homeschooling LawsThere are 5 homeschooling options in Iowa. These are:
- Independent Private Instruction method (IPI)
- Competent Private Instruction, with Opt-Out Reporting
- Competent Private Instruction, with Opt-In Reporting
- Competent Private Instruction with Teacher You Select
- Competent Private Instruction with Home School Assistance Program (HSAP)
Iowa Homeschool AssociationsHomeschool associations help families stay up to date with home education regulations, organize conferences and provide the support families need to help them on their homeschooling journey. Families in Iowa can turn to its statewide association, Homeschool Iowa “NICHE” (Network of Iowa Christian Home Educators, for guidance, resources, and more. Learn more and discover if joining makes sense for your family on our Iowa Homeschool Associations page.
Iowa Homeschool Groups and Co-opsAs more families join the homeschooling community in Iowa, support is easier to come by. Homeschool groups and co-ops provide tons of resources for both new and experienced homeschoolers. One of the biggest benefits is being able to connect with other homeschooling families. Discover groups and co-ops near you on our Iowa Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Iowa Homeschool Field TripsOne of the exciting aspects of homeschooling is taking education outside the four walls of your home. The Hawkeye State has its fair share of activities ranging from state parks to museums, swinging bridges, and more. Field trips in Iowa provide a fun learning experience that the entire family can enjoy. Please make sure to contact each site before you plan your visit, as COVID-19 may have impacted their hours of operations. Discover some great educational destinations in the Hawkeye state on our Iowa Homeschool Field Trips page.
Iowa Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Many homeschooling families (even those not required to participate) do find it useful to have their child take a standardized test in order to review their progress in comparison to other students of the same age. Parents of traditionally schooled students also use Time4Learning to help them prep for the state required tests. Learn more in our Iowa test prep page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Iowa
Families in Iowa can confidently homeschool with Time4Learning’s online curriculum regardless of which option they choose to homeschool under. Since some options require families to teach specific subjects and mandate standardized tests, among other things, you’ll want to make sure you’re sufficiently prepared.
Time4Learning helps homeschoolers in Iowa make sure their t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted with the following:
- Membership includes the core subjects such as math, language arts, science, and social studies. Additional electives are available depending on the grade level of your student.
- Detailed lesson plans broken up by chapter per subject including related activities within that chapter are provided.
- Convenient, online curriculum engages students and supports their critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Interactive, flexible approach provides plenty of practice to ensure mastery of skills, which helps students prepare for upcoming tests or evaluations.
- Our innovative platform allows students to tap into their creativity as they interact with their learning in multiple modes and with multiple outcomes.
- Time4Learning includes a robust system of record keeping that tracks all your child’s completed lessons, activities, and assessments and makes them available through your parent dashboard. These can be printed or saved to your computer for inclusion in your homeschool portfolio.
- Most students don’t work at a single grade level in every subject. Time4Learning gives students access to the grade above and the grade below in K-7.
- Families receive a standards-based, high-quality curriculum at a low monthly fee
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime