Homeschooling In Iowa
Families in Iowa have several options for homeschooling their children. If you live in or are planning to move to the Hawkeye State, you are probably wondering how to begin homeschooling in Iowa and what the steps to homeschooling are. Wonder no more. This page will guide you through the process of getting started, inform you on the rules and guidelines for each homeschooling option, fill you in on support group information and so much more!
- How to Start Homeschooling in Iowa
- Iowa Homeschooling Laws
- Iowa Homeschool Associations
- Iowa Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in Iowa
- Iowa Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Iowa
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in Iowa
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Iowa
Depending on the option you choose to homeschool under, the steps to getting started will vary. However, most options share in the following:
- Choose the homeschooling option that best works for you.
- Withdraw your student from school if he or she is currently enrolled in order to avoid truancy.
- Teach the required subjects, for the required number of days or submit annual assessments.
- Begin enjoying homeschooling together.
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.
Iowa Homeschooling LawsThere are 5 homeschooling options in Iowa. These are:
- Independent Private Instruction method (IPI)
- Competent Private Instruction, with Opt-Out Reporting
- Competent Private Instruction, with Opt-In Reporting
- Competent Private Instruction with Teacher You Select
- Competent Private Instruction with Home School Assistance Program (HSAP)
Iowa Homeschool AssociationsHomeschool associations help families stay up to date with home education regulations, organize conferences and provide the support families need to help them on their homeschooling journey. Families in Iowa can turn to its statewide association, Homeschool Iowa “NICHE” (Network of Iowa Christian Home Educators, for guidance, resources, and more. Learn more and discover if joining makes sense for your family on our Iowa Homeschool Associations page.
Iowa Homeschool Groups and Co-opsAs more families join the homeschooling community in Iowa, support is easier to come by. Homeschool groups and co-ops provide tons of resources for both new and experienced homeschoolers. One of the biggest benefits is being able to connect with other homeschooling families. Discover groups and co-ops near you on our Iowa Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Iowa Homeschool Field TripsOne of the exciting aspects of homeschooling is taking education outside the four walls of your home. The Hawkeye State has its fair share of activities ranging from state parks to museums, swinging bridges, and more. Field trips in Iowa provide a fun learning experience that the entire family can enjoy. Discover some great educational destinations in the Hawkeye state on our Iowa Homeschool Field Trips page.
Iowa Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Depending on the homeschooling option you choose to homeschool under, you may or may not be required to participate in annual assessments or standardized testing. That said, many homeschooling families (even those not required to participate) do find it useful to have their child take a standardized test in order to review their progress in comparison to other students of the same age.
Parents of traditionally schooled students also use Time4Learning to help them prep for the state required tests. Learn more on our Iowa Test Prep page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Iowa
Families in Iowa can confidently homeschool with Time4Learning’s online curriculum regardless of which option they choose to homeschool under. Since some options require families to teach specific subjects and mandate standardized tests, among other things, you’ll want to make sure you’re sufficiently prepared.
Time4Learning helps homeschoolers in Iowa make sure their t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted with the following:
- Membership includes the core subjects such as math, language arts, science, and social studies. Additional electives are available depending on the grade level of your student.
- Detailed lesson plans broken up by chapter per subject including related activities within that chapter are provided.
- Convenient, online curriculum engages students and supports their critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Interactive, flexible approach provides plenty of practice to ensure mastery of skills, which helps students prepare for upcoming tests or evaluations.
- Our innovative platform allows students to tap into their creativity as they interact with their learning in multiple modes and with multiple outcomes.
- Time4Learning includes a robust system of record keeping that tracks all your child’s completed lessons, activities, and assessments and makes them available through your parent dashboard. These can be printed or saved to your computer for inclusion in your homeschool portfolio.
- Most students don’t work at a single grade level in every subject. Time4Learning gives students access to the grade above and the grade below in K-7.
- Families receive a standards-based, high-quality curriculum at a low monthly fee
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
Choices for homeschool curriculum in Iowa State are completely up to the parents and students. The great news is that families have much more to choose from than typical textbooks, workbooks, and other traditional schooling methods. Online courses, interactive videos, personal computers, laptops, and tablet devices provide exciting and engaging materials for children to experience. But all of these new methods often confuse parents, especially those who are new homeschoolers.
Eventually, parents come to realize that mixing different tools and activities usually keeps their children stimulated and eager to learn. For more information review How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12.
Iowa Unit Study Supplement
Help your homeschooler learn interesting history and geography facts about Iowa in the Time4Learning unit study supplement.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online after school program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos and discover why thousands of families in Iowa are already using it!
Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.