Any “school” done during summer vacation needs to be a lot of fun!
Now that summer’s here, we need to keep this academic ball rolling, but any “school” done during summer vacation needs to be a lot of fun!
Enter Time4Learning. Time4Learning is an online learning system that we used when Wenxin first came home from China. I needed something he could do independently while I worked with my other homeschooled kids, and when he first came home, I couldn’t get Wenxin to do anything independently. At the recommendation of our social worker, we used Time4Learning for a couple of months, and were pleased with the results. Because Wenxin enjoyed playing on the computer, Time4Learning was a stress free way for him to learn the English alphabet and all the consonant and short vowel sounds.
At the homeschool convention last weekend, I decided to renew Wenxin’s Time4Learning membership — just for the summer — to give him a fun way to keep honing his academic skills.
Here are some things I like about Time4Learning:
- It’s solid academically, covering all areas of language arts along with math, science and social studies.
- You get access to activities for 3 grade levels: the grade level you choose for your child plus one grade above and one grade below. This helps us because while Wenxin was a 2nd grader this year, he did 1st grade language arts and 3rd grade math. There are lots of kids like that.
- As a parent, you control the amount of time your child has to work on academics before he gets a set amount of time on the site’s “playground.”
- You monitor written reports of your child’s activities. You see what he attempted and his percentage correct. I print these reports for Wenxin’s homeschool portfolio.
- Their customer service is impressive; I e-mailed them this morning and got a response within a few hours.
- Last of all, Time4Learning gives you a two week money back guarantee. You can cancel for a full refund any time during your first two weeks. So trying it is risk-free.