California Homeschool Associations
In such a vibrant homeschooling state as California, it’s not surprising that organizations would rise up to support the large and growing number of families choosing to home educate in the state. In general homeschool associations are created to provide legal, social, and informational support to families choosing to teach their children at home. The focus, worldview, and resources provided by homeschool associations vary widely, however. Currently, California has at least three statewide homeschool associations. Below, you will learn more about each one and also discover some of the advantages of joining one or more associations in the state.
California Homeschool Network (CHN)
According to the CHN website, the mission of the California Homeschool Network is to “protect the fundamental right of the family to educate its children in the manner it deems appropriate without regulation or interference by federal, state, or local agencies.”
The California Homeschool Network organized in 1994 with an inclusive worldview, open to families across the state from all religious, non-religious, and ethnic affiliations. Some of the chief resources CHN offers its members includes:
- Discounts on CHN events and publications
- An ID card to help them qualify for store discounts
- A quarterly digital newsletter
- A dedicated Facebook group
- Updated information regarding homeschooling legally in CA
Christian Home Educators Association of California (CHEA)
According to the CHEA website, the mission of the Christian Home Educators Association of California is “to advance the Kingdom of Jesus Christ by promoting private Christian home education as an outstanding educational opportunity; providing information, training and support to the homeschool community; and protecting the God-given right of parents to direct the education and training of their children, to the glory of God.”
The CHEA was established in 1982 from a distinctly faith-based worldview. They hold an annual homeschool convention each year and maintain an informational website that provides both members and non-members with up-to-date guidance regarding homeschooling in California. The organization offers tiered levels of membership with benefits (dependent on membership level) such as:
- Discounted membership into the HSLDA
- Discounted (or even free) registration to the annual CHEA homeschool convention
- Eligibility for CHEA sponsored scholarships
HomeSchool Association of California (HSC)
According to the HSC website, the mission of the HomeSchool Association of California is several-fold. It seeks to be an organization that:
- Honors the diversity of homeschoolers
- Supports the entire spectrum of homeschooling
- Provides homeschooling information
- Monitors and influences legislation
- Offers opportunities for families to get together
- Provides networking and support for homeschoolers
- Empowers families to make choices that respect the rights, needs, and aspirations of their children
This inclusive, all-volunteer nonprofit offers homeschooling information to families across the state, whether you are a member or not. However, members do receive discounted registration to the annual HSC conference as well as priority access to other HSC-sponsored events.
Why Join a Homeschool Association?
The benefits of joining a statewide homeschool organization can be many — especially if the association aligns with your family’s goals for homeschooling. Homeschool associations provide important information that may impact the homeschooling community. They serve as an advocate for homeschooling families and often sponsor local and regional homeschool support groups. Since different associations often offer different services, you may want to join one or even more than one association in California.
Additional Resources Related to Homeschooling in California
Have other questions about homeschooling in California? You may find the following pages helpful.
- Homeschooling in California
- California Homeschool Laws
- California Charter Schools
- California Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in California
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.