9th Grade Math Curriculum
9th grade math usually focuses on Algebra I, but can include other advanced mathematics such as Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus or Trigonometry. This is the year when they formalize and extend their understanding and application of quadratic and exponential functions as well as other advanced mathematical concepts.
Ninth graders must fully understand concepts before moving on, or they will soon find themselves lost and confused. Learn how to help your child achieve academic success in mathematics with the information below.
What Math Should a 9th Grader Know
If your student hasn’t yet studied Pre-Algebra, that course should be their starting point. However, if they have already passed Pre-Algebra, you should start with Algebra 1 or Geometry interchangeably for your student. At that point, it is a matter of preference and your student’s individual aptitude.
The ideal ninth grade math curriculum will offer students the opportunity to practice and expand on the skills learned in middle school. In essence, at the beginning of the year a 9th grade math student should be able to:
- Demonstrate above average math fact fluency.
- Investigate and solve a number of problems using the Pythagorean theorem.
- Use reasoning skills to solve multi-step problems with rational and irrational numbers.
- Rearrange and solve basic algebraic equations.
Math Objectives for 9th Grade
Once you choose your ideal 9th grade math curriculum, make sure to set some attainable goals. These should include:
- Increase ability to solve algebraic expressions involving radicals and polynomials.
- Develop fluency in writing and solving multi-variable equations and inequalities.
- Gain understanding of nonlinear functions, including exponential and quadratic functions.
- Boost data analysis skills through various displays of data including box plots, regression models and more.
- Attain a high level of success in solving multiple algebraic expressions, and multi-dimensional figures.
- Getting a good understanding of budgeting, investing, and basic concepts of statistics.
Why Choose Time4Learning Ninth Grade Math Homeschool Curriculum
Whether your student dreams of being a teacher, scientist, researcher, programmer, or historian, strong math skills will be necessary. Students need a comprehensive program that feels engaging with progressively challenging lessons to avoid learning gaps.
In addition to quizzes and review modules, a strong math program for 9th grade should offer tons of math practice and activities to keep students interacting with the curriculum. As most of us know, the more we practice, the better we become.
Below are some of the reasons why many families choose Time4Learning as their 9th grade math curriculum!
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement
Additional 9th Grade Homeschool Resources
Return to the 9th Grade Curriculum Overview.
Or explore the our other ninth grade resources: