Considering using K12*? Many parents new to homeschooling find that one of the most difficult choices they make is selecting which homeschooling approach to use.
A parent’s homeschooling role isn’t always that of a teacher, it’s also that of an organizer of resources. There are online K12 homeschool learning services, textbooks and homeschool curricula, distance learning schools specialized in homeschooling, public schools that provide a homeschooling option (Florida Virtual School) and homeschool support groups that share a variety of different homeschooling methods.
To help parents compare their choices, this page contrasts using Time4Learning (a popular PreK-12th grade online learning service or interactive curriculum) with K12 Interactive. It provides the following info:
- Using Time4Learning with your K-12 curriculum
- Key benefits of using Time4Learning
- Description of the K12 Program
- Tools and helpful resources for your K12 online education
Time4Learning – A Flexible and Functional Addition to K12 Education
New homeschooling families might choose a virtual school as their homeschooling option if they feel overwhelmed by the idea of overseeing the day-to-day educational activities of their children. With Time4Learning, students work on their time and at their own pace. Lessons do not need to be completed within a set amount of time, making our program ideal for families who travel frequently or even when illness or other emergencies come up.
Time4Learning gives parents complete control of their child’s education. It can be used with a broad array of student types, learning styles and homeschooling methods, which is why it is a great complement to your K12 curriculum.
Our automated record-keeping tracks the date and time the student logs in, how long they spend on each lesson and their grades. Parents do not need to spend additional time trying to figure out how much time their child spent doing their lessons each day. Parents can log in and view the printable reports at any time.
Time4Learning is vibrant, engaging, educational, and funny. It sure beats our previous homeschool curriculum which was textbook/workbook based.
Time4Learning is so effective that very little intervention is required. This works great if you’re homeschooling multiple children.
Time4Learning – Homeschool Curriculum Features
With Time4Learning, getting your child ready for their lessons everyday does not take a lot of prep time. Students simply log in at their schedule and have complete access to all their work. Lessons are laid out in a suggested sequence and families can utilize as much or as little of the program as they see fit. For new homeschoolers, Time4Learning can help make the transition less stressful and for seasoned homeschoolers, it can help free up a lot of time spent focusing on the preparation and administrative details of home education.
Some key benefits of using Time4Learning:
- Students get individual logins and work on their own schedule and pace. Parents can either let their child progress through each lesson sequentially, or they can look for specific lessons. Either way, the family has complete control over their education.
- Parents can set the grade level independently for each subject. This allows children who have incongruous learning levels to work on lessons that are at a comfortable level.
- The grade above and below are available for review and additional study. modularized lesson plans allow you to move forward and back through the materials whenever you want. You can skip lessons that teach concepts your child has already mastered and repeat those he or she has not. The choice is yours.
- Time4Learning appeals to a wide range of learning styles. Our online learning materials are especially well-suited to children who are visual or kinesthetic learners. These children can take advantage of Time4Learning’s interactive, multimedia materials.
- Time4Learning is accessible to kids with widely varying learning aptitudes. Because of the flexibility of the curriculum, and how each student can move at his or her own pace through the lessons, T4L works well for kids who are gifted, kids with learning disabilities, and kids with all learning aptitudes in between!
- An automated system handles a large portion of the administrative duties a parent must complete to satisfy K12 requirements. A timing feature tracks the amount of time spent on each online activity, which makes tracking attendance simple. Lessons are automatically graded by the system, and detailed printable reports can be run at any time.
Time4Learning requires no long-term contracts. Unlike virtual schools, which usually require you to sign up for a full year of instruction at a time, Time4Learning’s subscription is on a month-to-month basis. You may cancel at any time.
My children’s favorite part of the day is their time on Time4Learning. This is the easiest and most consistently productive curriculum we’ve used!
My kids can work independently or with my involvement. Time4Learning has enriched their education and simplified my life!
Virtual Schools – The K12 approach
One of the newest trends in homeschooling is using a virtual school (sometimes called a cyberschool) for their daily instruction. Many states in the United States now provide virtual schools as an alternative option for public school students. Most of these schools are designed to offer distance education via the internet, and many of these use a curriculum designed by K12, Inc. These virtual schools are not technically homeschools; instead, the students enrolled in them are considered virtual public school students, with the state providing certified teachers to oversee the administration of the school, and the parent taking the role of “Learning Coach.”
New homeschooling families might choose a virtual school as their homeschooling option if they feel overwhelmed by the idea of overseeing the day-to-day educational activities of their children or are concerned that they will leave “gaps” in their instruction. They are willing to sacrifice the flexibility of choosing what and how to teach their child, for the sense of security that comes from believing that a curriculum such as K12 will cover all the educational bases. The other reason many families choose a virtual schooling option is because as long as the state is sponsoring the school the curriculum is provided to the family for free.
*K12 is the registered trademark of K12, Inc. Time4Learning is not in any way affiliated with K12. This page provides information to families who are considering a virtual school or who wish to compare the benefits of using a virtual school or a private online curriculum. Time4Learning’s products and services are not endorsed or sponsored by K12.
Some Helpful Tools and Resources
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide – Are you new to homeschooling? This guide was written by seasoned homeschoolers to answer some of the difficult questions new families often struggle with.
Curriculum Lesson Plans – An overview of the number of lessons that are included for each grade and subject. All students have access to at least 2 (and in most cases 3) grade levels of curriculum for each subject, so they can move ahead or review at their own pace.
The Lesson Activity Finder – One of the many helpful tools that Time4Learning offers its members. The activity finder is a shortcut that makes it easy for parents to preview lessons or find extra practice for their child. You can visit our hints and help section for more information about the activity finder.
Lesson Planning Worksheet – Wondering how many lessons to have your child do each day? Estimate the number of activities per day using this easy to use, printable worksheet.
Online Parent’s Forum – Reach out to homeschoolers in your area, join discussions, ask questions and trade ideas on our online community of homeschooling parents. Having the support of seasoned homeschoolers can really help make your homeschooling journey a success.
Sign up for Time4Learning and gain access to a variety of educational materials, which will engage and challenge your child to succeed. Make Time4Learning a part of your children’s homeschool resources.