Financial Assistance for Military Homeschool Families
Between frequent deployments and moving expenses, cost-of-living increases, and the effects of trying to live on a single income, military families rank financial issues as one of their biggest stressors in related surveys. If this sounds familiar, then you will appreciate any tips and tricks that can reduce the cost of homeschooling. On this page, we will highlight several different ways to economize your home education through grants, scholarships, and discounts available to you as members of the armed forces.
- Military Homeschool Grants and Assistance
- Scholarships for Military Dependents
- Homeschool Military Discounts
- Additional Resources for Homeschooling on a Budget
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
Military Homeschool Grants and Assistance
Each branch of the U.S. military has its own relief society. And while we think of those programs as emergency backup systems, it is wise to explore what benefits these societies offer to homeschooling families. The assistance may vary between branches, and even vary year-to-year, but if your homeschool needs financial help, this is a good place to start looking.
- Army Emergency Relief
- Air Force Aid Society
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
- Coast Guard Mutual Assistance
Scholarships for Military Dependents
For those families homeschooling a high schooler, it is never too early to begin thinking about how to finance their college education. Your initial research should focus on the GI Bill. Current active duty members having served at least six years can actually transfer an unused GI Bill to an eligible family member (or members) with the agreement to serve at least four more years. The Bill can cover up to 36 months of tuition, housing, and books and supplies in a VA-approved education facility.
If the GI Bill is not appropriate for your family, don’t fret. There are a multitude of scholarships available specifically for children of current and retired service members. Here is a list of some of the most popular ones.
- Scholarships For Military Children
- Army ROTC Scholarships (Not just for military dependents, but for anyone interested in accepting a commission to serve in the Army or National Guard)
- Adrian & Corena Swanier Education Scholarship
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- Dolphin Scholarship Foundation
- MG James Ursano Scholarship Program
- AMVETS National Scholarship Program
- Lt Col Romeo and Josephine Bass Ferretti Scholarship
- Folds Of Honor Scholarship
Homeschool Military Discounts
To show their appreciation for your service and sacrifices, many retailers and attractions offer discounts to active service members and/or veterans. Some of these can be especially beneficial to homeschooling families. Other programs are offered exclusively to military families. Below is a sampling of some of these opportunities so you can decide which ones will benefit your particular situation.
- United Through Reading – connects military families who are separated through the bonding experience of shared story time.
- As you are planning your next vacation, consider Florida. Did you know that military families get free admission to both Legoland and SeaWorld?
- Michaels Arts and Crafts – homeschoolers love to create, so take advantage of a 15% discount in-store and online.
- Operation Purple Camp – a camp experience just for military kids. And don’t miss out on Operation Purple at Home, a free virtual camp experience.
- Blue Star Families – offers many discounts applicable to homeschoolers, particularly free admission to participating museums across the U.S.
- The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Military families can receive a free annual pass to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites.
- Tutor.com – Online tutoring and homework help for U.S. military and their families provided 24/7 at no cost by the U.S. Department of Defense and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance.
- VetTix – secures free tickets for military families to sporting events, concerts, performing arts, and educational and family activities across the nation.
Keep in mind, too, that businesses and attractions near most military bases may offer discounts as well. Don’t forget to ask!