Homeschooling In New Jersey
If you are considering homeschooling in New Jersey, where to start is probably one of the main questions in your mind. Or, maybe you are even wondering, “Is it legal to homeschool in New Jersey?” Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, including New Jersey.
Below, you’ll find the steps on how to enroll in homeschool in New Jersey, what laws you’ll need to follow, where to go for support, and what the most popular homeschool programs New Jersey families use are.
New Jersey is a friendly environment for homeschoolers. Laws and regulations are minimal, homeschool support is plentiful, and you have complete freedom to choose the curricula and materials that will support your student’s success. Welcome to homeschooling in the Garden State!
- How to Start Homeschooling in New Jersey
- New Jersey Homeschooling Laws
- New Jersey Homeschool Associations
- New Jersey Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in New Jersey
- New Jersey Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in New Jersey
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in New Jersey
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in New Jersey
According to New Jersey education law, parents can homeschool their child as long as the instruction is academically “equivalent” to what they would receive at school. The steps to homeschooling in New Jersey are simple:
- Formally withdraw your student from his/her current school (if enrolled)
- Notify your local school superintendent of your intention to homeschool (not required, but may alleviate truancy issues)
- Choose the programs and materials that best fit your student’s learning needs.
- Start having fun learning together!
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.
New Jersey Homeschooling Laws
While New Jersey is one of the least restrictive states in the U.S. in regards to homeschooling, ensuring the following is key:
- children between ages 6 and 16 must receive instruction
- instruction should be academically “equivalent” to what they would receive at school
Explore the freedoms you do and don’t have on our New Jersey Homeschooling Laws page.
New Jersey Homeschool Associations
Perhaps because it is so conducive to homeschoolers, the popularity of home education in New Jersey continues to grow. A sign of that growth is the evolution of not just one, but two statewide homeschool associations. Learn about those organizations and how they can benefit you on our New Jersey Homeschooling Associations page.
New Jersey Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Once you’ve gone through the steps on how to homeschool in New Jersey, finding local support groups should be your next priority. All across New Jersey, families have banded together to create online and person-to-person support systems in their local areas. Learn more about these groups on our New Jersey Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
New Jersey Homeschool Field Trips
With all the freedoms New Jersey homeschoolers have, is it any wonder that they love to get out and explore learning opportunities in their state? Browse some of the historic, scientific, and cultural locations where your homeschooler can get hands-on with their education on this post of New Jersey Homeschool Field Trips.
New Jersey Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Although standardized testing is not a requirement for homeschoolers in New Jersey, many families use regular assessments as a way to track their student’s progress year to year. Time4Learning’s standards-based curriculum covers all the core areas that nationally-normed tests measure, and some grade levels even provide practice assessments to help alleviate test anxiety.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in New Jersey
In New Jersey, homeschooling curriculum choice is up to each individual family. Time4Learning’s PreK-12 program has long been a popular option among homeschoolers in the Garden State. Some of the reasons families choose Time4Learning include:
- The self-paced, modularized lesson plans allow you to move forward and back through the materials whenever you want. You can skip lessons that teach concepts your child has already mastered and repeat those he or she has not. The choice is yours. With Time4Learning, you are always in control.
- The ease of use of the program means that families can sign up and begin learning on the very same day. Even accidental homeschoolers can navigate the curriculum with little or no preparation.
- No need to purchase a large package of materials you may or may not use. Time4Learning’s monthly subscription model allows you to use the program exactly as much and as long as you need.
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
Knowing how to homeschool in New Jersey is important, but choosing the right blend of curricula for your student is equally vital to their success. Parents have much more to choose from than typical textbooks, workbooks, and other traditional schooling methods. When homeschooling in New Jersey, online courses, interactive videos, personal computers, laptops, and tablet devices are all valid options for learning. But these new methods can often confuse parents, especially those who are new homeschoolers. Eventually, parents come to realize that mixing different tools and activities usually keeps their children stimulated and eager to learn. For more information, review How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12.
New Jersey Unit Study Supplement
Help your homeschooler learn interesting history and geography facts about New Jersey in the Time4Learning unit study supplement.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online afterschool program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos and discover why thousands of families in New Jersey are already using it! Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.