Homeschool Umbrella Schools in Maryland
Families in Maryland who choose to homeschool under either a church umbrella or state-approved school must be knowledgeable of what these organizations are, the differences between the two, and what is required of them before making a decision. With each of these two options, families must follow specific guidelines in order to comply with the state’s homeschool laws.
What are Umbrella Schools?
Maryland homeschool umbrella groups are organizations that oversee and supervise a family’s homeschooling endeavors. These groups provide a number of services to homeschoolers, usually for a fee, and help with enrollment, attendance, and other aspects of a family’s home education. The services provided vary with each group, but may include supervising instruction, issuing progress reports or providing assistance with transcripts, and scheduling reviews just to name a few.
Maryland Umbrella Schools
Homeschool umbrella schools in Maryland must be registered with the state’s department of education. Each umbrella school authorized by the state of Maryland has its own set of guidelines for its students. That’s why it’s important that families research each one thoroughly to make sure that it meets their unique needs, and allows them to comply with the state’s homeschooling laws.
Below is a short list of some of the umbrella schools available for homeschoolers in Maryland.
- The Avalon School
- Arlington Baptist School
- Bowie Christian School
- Calvary Academy
- Conowingo – Rising Sun Christian School
- Many Paths of Natural Learning Umbrella Group
- Mount Airy Christian Family Academy
- Stone Hill Preparatory School
- Veritas Umbrella
- Yang Academy
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Maryland Umbrella School Option
There are advantages and disadvantages of using an church or school umbrella for homeschooling. The following chart lays out these out so you can better weigh your options.
Questions to Ask When Choosing an Umbrella School
When choosing a homeschool umbrella school in Maryland, it’s important to first make sure that it is operated by a valid church organization or that the umbrella group is state-approved. If you are choosing to homeschool under the church umbrella, it is important to first select and join the group prior to submitting your Notice of Consent since you will need to list the name of the church. For those families homeschooling under the school umbrella option, it’s important to filed your Notice of Consent as soon as you withdraw your child from school or he or she may be considered truant.
It is a good idea to thoroughly research the details of each program before deciding on an umbrella school. Here are some questions you may want to ask:
- How much flexibility do I have to choose my student’s curriculum?
- Do you provide a high school diploma?
- Who conducts reviews? Where do they take place?
- What should I include in my child’s portfolio?
- Do you have requirements in addition to what the state mandates?
- Do you charge a fee? If so, how much?
- What services do you provide?
- Is there a specific day of the year I need to start homeschooling?
Homeschool Umbrella Schools and Time4Learning
If you have the option to choose your curriculum, many families find that Time4Learning is an ideal program for umbrella schools. Some of the features that make Time4Learning so successful include:
- A blend of interactive lessons, worksheets, activities, and assessments for grades PreK-12
- Courses in math, language arts, science, social studies, and more
- Compatible with a large range of learning styles
- Multimedia lessons keep students engaged and motivated
- Student-paced approach allows parents and students decide if they want to move sequentially through material or pick and choose what to focus on
- Low monthly fee
Additional Resources Related to Homeschooling Maryland
Do you have other questions about homeschooling in Maryland? You may find the following pages helpful.
- Homeschooling in Maryland
- Maryland Homeschooling Laws
- Maryland Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Maryland Homeschool Associations
- Maryland Homeschool Field Trips
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.