Homeschooling in Maine
If you are looking for information on how to homeschool in Maine, this page will fill you in on everything you need to know to help you get started. In addition to learning about the state’s homeschooling laws, you’ll also find information on Maine’s homeschool groups and co-ops, standardized testing requirements, educational field trip ideas, and more.
- How to Start Homeschool in Maine
- Maine Homeschooling Laws
- Maine Homeschool Associations
- Maine Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Maine Homeschool Field Trips
- Maine Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Maine
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in Maine
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Maine
The steps to start homeschooling in Maine are the following:
- File a notice of intent to homeschool with your local superintendent.
- Teach the required subjects.
- Submit year-end evaluations.
- Enjoy learning together!
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.
Maine Homeschooling Laws
Once you’ve submitted your initial letter of intent, homeschooling families in Maine must comply with the following requirements every year:
- Submit an annual letter that states your intention to continue homeschooling no later than September 1st.
- Teach the required subjects.
- Submit year-end assessments results.
To learn more details about the legal requirements for homeschooling in Maine, visit our Maine Homeschooling Laws page.
Maine Homeschool Associations
Homeschoolers of Maine (HOME) is the state’s main homeschool association. Families can benefit from all the resources and information available, as well as all the opportunities for fun and socialization. Learn more about this organization and if it’s a good fit for your family in our Maine Homeschool Associations page.
Maine Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
Homeschoolers looking for information, guidance, group activities, and enrichment classes in Maine can turn to the state’s numerous homeschool support groups and co-ops. These organizations offer tons of opportunities for socialization, learning, and encouragement for both parents and children alike.
To learn more about these support groups and co-ops, visit our Maine Homeschool Groups and Co-ops page.
Maine Homeschool Field Trips
One big reason many families love to homeschool is because they have the freedom to learn their way. That’s why many homeschoolers love to think outside the box and make the most of all the educational field trip destinations available in Maine. Whether it’s science, history, or art that your child is studying, Maine offers endless opportunities for learning.
To browse all the field trips opportunities in the Pine Tree State, visit our Homeschool Field Trips in Maine post.
Maine Standardized Testing and Test Prep
For a homeschooler’s year-end assessment, the most popular options are participating in standardized tests or having the child’s progress reviewed by a Maine certified teacher. In both cases, Time4Learning helps parents adequately prepare their student’s year-end evaluations.
In fact, many parents of traditionally schooled students use Time4Learning as an afterschool program to ensure their child’s success in standardized tests. Learn more on our Maine Test Prep page.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Maine
For many families homeschooling in Maine, online curricula is becoming increasingly popular. There are several subjects that must be taught in Maine homeschools, and it is recommended that thorough records are kept. For these reasons, it is important that homeschoolers in Maine are adequately prepared.
Time4Learning helps you comply with some of the state requirements so you can focus on the more important aspects of homeschooling: your child’s education. Below are just a few reasons why homeschoolers in Maine consistently choose Time4Learning’s online curriculum:
- Comprehensive program teaches Maine’s required subjects of math, language arts, science, social studies and more.
- Automated grading means one less thing for parents to worry about.
- Automated recordkeeping allows parents to easily create homeschool portfolios for the required annual assessment reviews.
- Flexible, student-paced approach allows students to work in different grade levels by subject and even access material from various levels.
- Printable worksheets provide additional practice and reinforce concepts learned online.
- Engaging curriculum helps students prepare for standardized tests.
- No schedules to follow and 24/7 access mean students can learn when it’s convenient for them.
- Freedom to follow suggested sequence or create individual schedules for students.
- Low monthly fee, no contracts and a 14-day money back guarantee.
- Self-paced lessons promote independent learning and allow for flexible scheduling.
- Interactive activities help students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
We understand how stressful it can be to find the right homeschool curriculum for your child, especially if you are new to homeschooling. It seems like there are endless options available. So how do you know which one is right for your child? How do you even find the time to research each one?
Being familiar with your child’s learning style is the first step in helping you make an informed decision. Many parents also find that one program is usually not the answer, which is why many families end up mixing and matching various homeschool programs to give their children a more thorough learning experience. Learn more about how to build the best homeschool curriculum for PreK-12.
Maine Unit Study Supplement
Help your homeschooler learn interesting history and geography facts about Maine in the Time4Learning unit study supplement.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online after school program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos and discover why thousands of families in Maine are already using it!
Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.