Colorado Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
After you’ve begun homeschooling (and sometimes even before), you may want to locate other homeschool families in your local area. In years past, the best way to locate local homeschool groups was to plug in your city or region and “homeschool” into your favorite search engine. And this may still be effective for large, established groups or for homeschool cooperatives (co-ops) that have a website. But currently, in the era of Facebook, you are more likely to find an active community of homeschoolers by searching the social network first.
On this page, we will help get you started in your search by listing some of the homeschooling support groups around the state. We will also explain more about one of the outgrowths of support groups and homeschool co-ops. Finally, we will share some of the known (and lesser known) benefits of belonging to a homeschool support community.
Colorado Homeschool Support Groups
Most metropolitan areas of Colorado, and even many rural ones, will have at least one active homeschool group. Even if you can’t locate a current support group within driving distance, that doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to network with other homeschoolers in the state.
To help you begin your search for local support, explore the list below of some of the Colorado homeschool groups on Facebook:
Be sure to visit Time4Learning’s Colorado parent forum where you’ll be able to connect with other families in The Centennial State and discover additional resources.
Colorado Homeschool Co-ops
A dynamic outgrowth of a local support group is called a homeschool cooperative, or “co-op.” The goal of most co-ops is to provide a group learning and/or enrichment environment for homeschool families. Colorado is home to a great number of homeschool co-op groups, each with its own goals and approach. Homeschool co-ops are especially beneficial for courses that benefit from group participation, such as physical education, or courses such as lab science.
As an example, Aletheia Academy is a parent-directed homeschool cooperative that meets on Thursdays at a church in the Denver area. It is a Christian group that requires a statement of faith from new members. It also expects that parents will share in the responsibilities of teaching classes and helping with administrative duties. It also offers extracurricular opportunities for members such as field trips and service opportunities.
Don’t fall into the biggest homeschooling myth out there. Discover how socialization is an active part of homeschooling.
Benefits of Joining a Homeschool Group or Co-op
Is a homeschool group or homeschool cooperative the right fit for your family? Explore the benefits of each in the chart below to help you decide if seeking out this type of local network would meet your needs.
- homeschoolers can meet other students who are schooling the way they are
- pre-scheduled group activities such as field trips, clubs, spelling bees, and P.E. bring variety to the homeschool week
- parents will have opportunities to ask questions of other veteran homeschooling families
- most groups have an online presence such as an email chain or Facebook group where you can easily search for information
- leveraging the talents of other parents means access to courses and subjects you might not have been able to teach at home
- regular interactions with the same group of students weekly leads to friendships and camaraderie between homeschoolers
- exposure to different teaching styles helps homeschoolers prepare for later school/college experiences
Additional Resources Related to Homeschooling Colorado
Have other questions about homeschooling in Colorado? You may find the following pages helpful.
- Homeschooling in Colorado
- Colorado Homeschool Associations
- Colorado Homeschooling Laws
- Colorado Homeschool Umbrella Schools
- Homeschool Field Trips in Colorado
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide
Download this FREE resource where experienced homeschoolers share their stories for how to begin homeschooling, understanding your child academically, planning your days, and much more.