Homeschooling in Denver
Known as the “mile high city,” Denver’s educational experiences are almost as diverse and boundless as the Rocky Mountains and the South Platte River Valley where it’s located. When homeschooling in Denver, you’ll have the opportunity to indulge in a city full of culture, entertainment, science, history, and art, as well as visit pristine natural settings.
For instance, after you focus on your core subjects, spend time observing and recording as many of the 280 species of birds flying the skies, or study the bighorn, elk, and mule deer that roam the mountains. You could also spend a day at a museum or venue that features educational topics for kids of all ages. But before you begin homeschooling in Denver, there are a few requirements you must follow.
- How to Homeschool in Denver
- Time4Learning Curriculum for Homeschooling in Denver
- Field Trips in Denver and Beyond
- Additional Resources Related to Homeschooling in Colorado
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Homeschool in Denver
Understanding the homeschool laws and requirements in Colorado will help ensure a successful homeschooling experience for you and your family. Guidelines include:
- All parents must provide written notification of the establishment of the home school program 14 days before beginning the home school program to a Colorado school district.
- Home school programs must include the subjects of communication skills of reading, writing, and speaking, mathematics, history, civics, literature and science.
- Home school programs must have no less than 172 days of instruction, averaging 4 contact hours per day.
- Records for each child must be kept on a permanent basis. The records must include attendance, test and evaluation results, and immunization records.
- Children must have their academic progress evaluated in grades 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11. Students can take a nationally standardized achievement test.
For additional information, please review our Colorado Homeschool Laws page.
Time4Learning Curriculum for Homeschooling in Denver
Time4Learning works well for homeschoolers in Denver because the program offers the core subjects required by Colorado state law (math, science, English language arts, social studies and reading) for K through 12th, 14 high school electives as well as premium electives.
Our automated grading and reporting system also helps parents keep the necessary records for a portfolio and is affordable enough to fit in any kind of budget.
Additional benefits include:
- Access to virtual labs, interactive projects, guided notes, and much more to help improve material, bring concepts to life, and allow students to apply what they’ve learned to real-life situations.
- Students quickly build mastery in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division through exciting and fast-paced games with Time4MathFacts, which is included in the monthly membership/
- An interactive online environment that emphasizes real-life problem solving skills, lateral thinking, complex analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Assistance in helping your children prepare for Colorado’s standardized testing requirements.
- Activity planners and curriculum calculators that keep your students organized and working independently.
- A curriculum that can be modified to meet your children’s specific learning styles and needs.
- A program that inspires independent learning and allows your children to work at their own pace. It also permits students to repeat lessons if they need a review on any subject.
- An affordable monthly payment plan that offers a 14-day money back guarantee.
Field Trips in Denver and Beyond
As your children study the core subjects, you’ll have the chance to introduce the many cultural, civic, natural, heritage-based and educational venues into their curriculum that a city like Denver offers. These outside activities provide additional learning experiences and exciting moments that you and your children will always remember.
Denver Museum of Nature & Science — Among the many educational attractions are Expedition Health, Space Odyssey, Dinosaur Hall, and Body World. All offer excellent presentation, content and viewing areas for kids of all ages. The museum also hosts the second largest collection of dioramas in the country, and offers many field trip packages that you can customize.
Forney Museum of Transportation — The museum houses one of the world’s largest steam powered locomotives, the Union Pacific ‘Big Boy’ #4005, as well as a large collection of cycles, which includes classic bicycles, tricycles, unicycles, motorcycles and even several 19th century high wheel bicycles. Car exhibits include Studebaker, Packard, Thunderbird and more. Hands-on learning experiences are offered. Your children will gain some insight into the transportation history of our country.
Denver Art Museum — Supplement your curriculum by bringing your students to see the amazing exhibitions at the Denver Art Museum. It is free for kids, and offers many forms of art from 3D objects and illusions to historic paintings and sketches. Students are able to view art from different cultures. Some learning experiences that the museum offers include: Imagination Games and Skills and Creative Explorers, which focus on building critical thinking skills, collaboration and self-direction.
Wings Over the Rockies — Kids of all ages will learn about flight as they visit the air and space museum and experience flight simulators, learn about the Titan Missile program and more. Educational classes for kids of all ages focus on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics) activities.
Downtown Aquarium — The aquarium features a public aquarium with more than a million gallons of underwater exhibits that highlight fascinating ecosystems around the world. Downtown Aquarium houses over 500 species of animals and offers homeschool for-a-day classes for all ages. Classes include Crazy Corals, Squid: Inside and Out and Tidal Pool Treasures.
Want to venture beyond Denver? Check out these fun field trips all around Colorado!