Sixth Grade Math Curriculum
Teaching 6th grade math will require a comprehensive 6th grade math curriculum at your fingertips to help you teach your child effectively while making learning math fun.
In order to ensure that your child reaches their learning targets, it’s important that the 6th grade math program you choose correlates to all state standards and provides plenty of opportunities for practice. This will help your child gain confidence as they master new math concepts. Navigate the links below to get started:
What Math Should a 6th Grader Know
The major math strands for a sixth grade curriculum are number sense and operations, algebra, geometry and spatial sense, measurement, and functions and probability. While these math strands might surprise you, they cover the basics of what a sixth grader should learn in math.
Students in 6th grade should already master math facts to help them understand more advanced math concepts. Some of the skills you should ensure mastery on for 6th graders include:
- Multiplying 3-digit by 2-digit numbers
- Comparing, rounding, and performing basic operations with decimals
- Fractions: adding, subtracting, simplifying, comparing, etc.
- Data analysis using bar graphs, line graphs, Venn diagrams, etc.
- Geometry: using a protractor, sorting and classifying triangles, polygons, quadrilaterals
Math Objectives for 6th Grade
At the beginning of the school year you should define some 6th grade math goals and objectives for your student. Below is a general idea of the 6th grade math objectives your child should be working towards.
- Understand pre-algebra concepts such as using variables to simplify expressions
- Identify decimal place value; compare and order decimals using a number line
- Use frequency tables and identify appropriate intervals
- Know how to use ratios and rates to compare data
- Locate and plot points on a coordinate graph using ordered pairs
- Understand the relationship between fractions, decimals, and percents.
Why Choose Time4Learning Sixth Grade Math Homeschool Curriculum
Our 6th grade math curriculum can be used as the main homeschool program or as a supplement to other curricula and after school students. Thousands of families consistently trust Time4Learning to teach all the crucial concepts students must know and help them reach all their objectives for the year.
Below are even more reasons why families around the country are choosing Time4Learning for their sixth graders.
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement