Second Grade English Language Arts Homeschool Curriculum
Students in 2nd grade language arts will gain more skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. They will continue to build an understanding of the connection between sounds, letters, and words. They will gain skills in using word roots to help them figure out the meaning of new words. Second graders practice word use and comprehension by writing to express ideas and information.
What Language Arts Concepts Should a 2nd Grader Know?
By the time they finish first grade, students are getting a strong handle on phonemic awareness. They are writing short sentences, reading simple stories and poems, and can begin to explain what they are reading about. Some of the specific skills that second grade language arts students will need to know include:
- Being able to answer a question about a story they have just read or listened to (who, what, when, why, where)
- Reading simple stories, fables, and articles fluently and independently
- Figuring out unfamiliar words using phonetic strategies
- Identifying the main topic in a text
The ideal second grade language arts curriculum will cover each of these bases with a combination of lessons, activities, and assessments to make sure students are on the track to success. Read on to learn how Time4Learning’s second grade language arts scope and sequence covers all of these topics to help your student master these crucial concepts.
Second Grade Reading Goals/Objectives
Foundational skills for second grade readers involve making sure they are able to read carefully and independently for sustained periods of time. They will grow in their ability to comprehend unfamiliar text and to make predictions based on what they have just read. Some of the specific reading goals for 2nd grade include:
- Using the information in text to determine the characters, setting, or plot.
- Identifying the meaning of words and phrases in appropriately-leveled text based on contextual cues
- Anticipating, making inferences, and recognizing the author’s point of view of a story
Second Grade Writing Goals/Objectives
In second grade, students continue learning how to communicate clearly and coherently with their writing. They will begin to study the writing process—the stages of writing from pre-writing through editing.
Some of the specific goals that second graders will aim for in writing include:
- Learn to gather information from sources to answer a question.
- Writing for different purposes and audiences such as creative, informational/expository, and persuasive forms
- Creating written drafts that will be revised and edited, with guidance from a teacher
Second Grade Grammar Goals/Objectives
It is impossible to separate reading and writing skills from the conventions of English. Although often one of the more challenging areas of language arts, second grade students should be on track to creating grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs. Second graders will continue to review the grammar rules they have learned to this point, and will add new concepts such as:
- Distinguishing between complete and incomplete sentences
- Identifying and correctly using parts of speech including nouns and verbs
- Using quotation marks correctly
- Spelling frequently used, but irregular words correctly (e.g.: was, were, says, said)
Time4Learning’s Second Grade English Language Arts Lessons
Language Arts Extensions Lesson Plan – 2nd Grade Curriculum
Chapter Test: Spiders – ILA
Chapter Test: Bees – ILA
Chapter Test: Worms – ILA
Chapter Test: Nutrition – ILA
Chapter Test: Hygiene – ILA
Chapter Test: Fitness – ILA
Chapter Test: Rain Forests – ILA
Chapter Test: Arctic – ILA
Chapter Test: Deserts – ILA
Chapter Test: Directions – ILA
Chapter Test: Maps and Globes – ILA
Chapter Test: Symbols and Keys – ILA
Chapter Test: Sounds – ILA
Chapter Test: Heat – ILA
Chapter Test: Light – ILA
Chapter Test: Hurricanes – ILA
Chapter Test: Tornadoes – ILA
Chapter Test: Volcanoes – ILA
Chapter Test: Conflict Resolution – ILA
Chapter Test: Following the Law – ILA
Chapter Test: Goods and Services – ILA
Chapter Test: Consumers and Producers – ILA
Scope & Sequence Copyright. © 2024 Edgenuity, Inc. All rights reserved.
Why Choose Time4Learning 2nd Grade Language Arts Curriculum?
Time4Learning’s comprehensive curriculum for language arts helps provide second grade students with a strong foundation in reading, writing, and English language conventions. Lessons are taught by colorful animated characters that sing, explain, and interact with the students. The homeschool language arts curriculum follows a student-paced approach that grants them the freedom to review or accelerate as needed.
Tens of thousands of families have chosen TimeLearning’s language arts curriculum as either their core program or as a supplement to other programs they are using.