First Grade Spelling Word Lists and Curriculum
Time4Learning is an online student-paced learning system popular as a first grade homeschool curriculum, as an after school tutorial and skill sharpening during the summer break.
This page is a summary of curriculum topics, foundational skills and resources related to first grade spelling including information about:
- First Grade Spelling Curriculum
- Foundational Spelling Skills
- First Grade Spelling Words List
- First Grade Spelling Resources
- Additional Parent Tools & Resources
First Grade Spelling Curriculum Sequence
The spelling curriculum for first grade is to start with basic Consonant-Vowel-Consonant words.
For example, a starting point for many first grade spelling lists are: DAD and MOM. Children then start to expand the list by working through “word families”. From DAD, they would cover BAD, SAD, HAD, and MAD. Also, they might vary the vowel and go to DID. From there children could shift to CAT, BAT, FAT, and SAT as well as CAR and BAR.
In first grade, spelling skills should grow to cover the blends such as T plus R make the TR sound such as in TREE. F and R blend to make the FR sound in FROG.
Remember, every child learns at a different rate, so what works for for 85% of the students, may not be the correct approach for your child. Which is why so many parents enjoy Time4Learning’s self-paced, modularized lesson plans. You can skip lessons that teach concepts your child has already mastered and repeat those he or she has not. The choice is yours.
Foundational Spelling Skills
With help from their parents, children can develop and reinforce foundational spelling skills through the following activities:
- Regular writing for a head start on spelling, punctuation, and other concepts
- Constant reading or use of reading workbooks
- Frequent study of spelling rules like the relationships between letters and sounds
- Spelling bees for a fun way for your child to practice their spelling
- Playing of spelling games, quizzes or word games to help develop their spelling skills
- Structured computer spelling programs
- Personalized tutoring and assistance to boost confidence
- Setting daily blocks of time for spelling and reading activities
- Instruction through guided spelling activities like word sorts or word boxes
- Creating a rich language environment at home based on the quantity and quality of words spoken
Time4Learning teaches a comprehensive first grade spelling curriculum using fun activities to build a solid spelling foundation. Help your child excel in spelling by trying out one of our Time4Learning’s first grade demos.
First Grade Spelling Words List
What spelling words should your first grader know? Here is a list of 50+ words that are great for use in spelling games, tests, or practice for an upcoming spelling bee. To add more value, download our 1st grade spelling list printable worksheet with +300 words and writing sheets!
First Grade Spelling Resources
If you’re interested in first grade spelling lists or vocabulary words, you might also be interested in:
- First-Grade Curriculum and Lesson Plans to outline learning goals
- First-Grade Language Arts Curriculum
- An integrated reading comprehension program
At first, I was skeptical about using a computer program for reading. But the progress we made is really clear and I couldn't be happier that we tried it!
In sixth grade language arts, there is an emphasis on reading comprehension and writing skills.
Additional Helpful Parent Tools & Resources
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide – Are you new to homeschooling? This guide was written by seasoned homeschoolers to answer some of the difficult questions new families often struggle with.
Curriculum Lesson Plans – An overview of the number of lessons that are included for each grade and subject. All students have access to at least 2 (and in most cases 3) grade levels of curriculum for each subject, so they can move ahead or review at their own pace.
Lesson Planning Worksheet – Wondering how many lessons to have your child do each day? Estimate the number of activities per day using this easy-to-use, printable worksheet.
Try Time4Learning Risk Free!
- PreK-12th Online Curriculum
- 24/7 Access to 3,500+ Lessons and Activities
- Automated Grading & Reporting
- Activity Planner for Easy Scheduling
- Start, Stop, or Pause Membership Anytime