Fifth Grade Spelling Words – Curriculum, Spelling Word Lists & Resources
Time4Learning is an online student-paced learning system popular as a fifth grade homeschool curriculum, as an after school tutorial and skill sharpening during the summer break.
This page is a summary of curriculum topics, foundational skills and resources related to fifth grade spelling including information about:
- Fifth Grade Spelling Curriculum
- Foundational Spelling Skills
- Fifth Grade Spelling Words List
- Fifth Grade Spelling Resources
- Additional Helpful Parent Tools & Resources
Fifth Grade Spelling Curriculum Sequence
Fifth grade spelling lessons concentrate on further study of prefixes, for example, EX- and PRE-. Also fifth grade spelling words include numerous suffixes, such as -ER, -LY, and -TION. Children studying fifth grade spelling are expected to spell roots, suffixes, prefixes, contractions, and syllable constructions correctly.
Students will also learn to spell words with similar sounds including words with the sounds CHUR/ZHUR, ANT/ENT, and the R- controlled vowels. As well as learn to distinguish homophones and homographs in both meaning and spelling.
Children learn through spelling activities that include many creative methods that make the fifth grade spelling program fun for them. Remember, every child learns at a different rate, so what works for some students, may not be the correct approach for your child. Which is why so many parents enjoy Time4Learning’s self-paced, modularized lesson plans. You can skip lessons that teach concepts your child has already mastered and repeat those he or she has not. The choice is yours.
Foundational Spelling Skills
Spelling skills should develop as part of an overall language arts phonemic awareness, phonics, reading comprehension, vocabulary and reading fluency, grammar, reading and writing program. Children should (with help from their parents) develop their foundational spelling skills through an interest in words, regular writing, constant reading, a study of spelling rules, and playing of spelling games
With help from their parents, children can develop and reinforce foundational spelling skills through the following activities:
- Regular writing for a head start on spelling, punctuation, and other concepts
- Constant reading or use of reading workbooks
- Frequent study of spelling rules like the relationships between letters and sounds
- Spelling bees for a fun way for your child to practice their spelling
- Playing of spelling games, quizzes or word games to help develop their spelling skills
- Structured computer spelling programs
- Personalized tutoring and assistance to boost confidence
- Setting daily blocks of time for spelling and reading activities
- Instruction through guided spelling activities like word sorts or word boxes
- Creating a rich language environment at home based on the quantity and quality of words spoken
Time4Learning teaches a comprehensive fifth grade spelling curriculum using fun activities to build a solid spelling foundation. Help your child excel in spelling by trying out one of our Time4Learning’s fifth grade demos.
Fifth Grade Spelling Word List
What spelling words should your fifth grader know? Here is a list of 50+ words that are great for use in spelling games, tests, or practice for an upcoming spelling bee. To add more value, download our 5th grade spelling list printable worksheet with +300 words!
VocabularySpellingCity offers a fun and easy cross-curricular word study with vocabulary, spelling, phonics, and writing activities.
Create your own spelling lists or use one of our 10,000 + pre-made lists. Students will feel like they're playing while they master each week's words.
Fifth Grade Spelling Resources
If you’re interested in fifth grade spelling lists or vocabulary words, you might also be interested in:
- Our lesson planning worksheet can help you estimate how many lessons to have your child do each day
- Fifth grade curriculum overview with a summary of key fifth grade learning objectives
- Detailed list of fifth grade language arts lesson plans
- Fifth grade math lesson plans with brief activity descriptions and learning activity numbers
- Fifth grade writing skills and standards by Time4Writing
- Fifth Grade Vocabulary and Spelling Lists – a free website that offers a fun and easy way to practice vocabulary and spelling words. Create your spelling list using the vocabulary words below and let SpellingCity teach them, use them in games and test your kids on them!
Additional Helpful Parent Tools & Resources
Welcome to Homeschooling Guide – Are you new to homeschooling? This guide was written by seasoned homeschoolers to answer some of the difficult questions new families often struggle with.
Curriculum Lesson Plans – An overview of the number of lessons that are included for each grade and subject. All students have access to at least 2 (and in most cases 3) grade levels of curriculum for each subject, so they can move ahead or review at their own pace.
The Lesson Activity Finder – One of the many helpful tools that Time4Learning offers its members. The activity finder is a shortcut that makes it easy for parents to preview lessons or find extra practice for their child. You can visit our hints and help section for more information about the activity finder.
Lesson Planning Worksheet – Wondering how many lessons to have your child do each day? Estimate the number of activities per day using this easy to use, printable worksheet.
Online Parent’s Forum – Reach out to homeschoolers in your area, join discussions, ask questions and trade ideas on our online community of homeschooling parents. Having the support of seasoned homeschoolers can really help make your homeschooling journey a success.