6th Grade Lesson Plans
Finding a curriculum that includes 6th grade lesson plans can make your (homeschooling) life so much easier. Luckily, Time4Learning has you covered. Our comprehensive curriculum includes sixth grade lesson plans for math, language arts, science and social studies.
Not only will this give you one less thing to worry about, our sixth grade lesson plans will help you plan for the year ahead, and keep you and your child organized.
How to Make a Lesson Plan for Sixth Grade
Although the Time4Learning monthly membership includes 6th grade lesson plans, some families find it helpful to create their own lesson plans. If you’re looking to plan for the whole year, or even a few weeks or months, the tips below will help you create a sixth grade lesson plan.
- Start with an objective for each lesson.
- Write out the lesson in outline form and include any materials needed.
- Break your lesson up into a timeline.
- Warm students up for the lesson with an introduction. This can mean engaging them by asking questions to find out what they already know.
- Present the information by starting with basic facts.
- Assign an activity to gauge how much they understand now that you’ve taught the lesson.
- Give students time to ask questions or clear up any confusion.
- Wrap up the lesson by going over the concept one more time.
6th Grade Lesson Plans for Math
The Time4Learning sixth grade lessons in math are spread out among more than 10 chapters that include approximately 600 lessons and activities. The curriculum teaches the material, and then provides students with the opportunity to try out their newly-learned skills with engaging activities as well as printable worksheets. Topics covered in sixth grade include:
- Exponents and square roots
- One-step equations with decimals
- Introduction to prime and composite numbers
- Dividing fractions
- Experimental and theoretical probability
6th Grade Lesson Plans for Language Arts
Building on their reading comprehension and writing skills is of the utmost importance now that students will be reading more varied genres and writing more formal essays. The sixth grade lesson plans for language arts will include both aforementioned skills as well as vocabulary and grammar, including:
- Latin and Greek roots
- Plot, character and setting
- Cause and effect
- Composition writing
- Elements of style
6th Grade Lesson Plans for Science
Humans, animals and all other forms of living things are typically the focus of sixth grade science. With the recommended course of life science, students will explore all aspects of life, its characteristics, building blocks, and so much more. Topics you can expect your child to learn in sixth grade science include:
- Characteristics of life
- Cellular respiration
- Overview of plants
- Birds and mammals
- The reproductive system
6th Grade Lesson Plans for Social Studies
Sixth grade social studies spans the four corners of the Earth as students dive into world history. From the first people to the world today and everything in between, students will learn about geography, ancient empires and rulers, world religions, both World Wars, and more, including:
- Geography of the Fertile Crescent
- Ancient rulers of Egypt
- Greek philosophy and history
- Life in the Americas
- Monarchies in Russia, Prussia, and Austria
Check out the list of chapters and activities for each subject on our 6th grade scope and sequence page.
What is Included in Time4Learning’s 6th Grade Lesson Plans?
The Time4Learning sixth grade lesson plans can be a huge timesaver for busy parents. Although most educators use lesson plans to help them schedule and teach the material, the Time4Learning lesson plans were created to help parents stay in-the-know of what their children are learning since Time4Learning already teaches the material to students.
Within the 6th grade lesson plans, families will have access to helpful information such as:
- Name of each lesson and activity
- Description and objective
- Activity type (scored, non-scored, test)
- Activity number
- Number of chapters, activities, quizzes within each subject