Homeschooling in Virginia
With 40,000 homeschoolers in Virginia and growing every year, we want to make sure we provide you with the most important information about homeschooling in the Old Dominion State. From the best homeschool programs in Virginia to where to find local support and compliance information, read on to learn about the choices you have to homeschool in Virginia.
- How to Homeschool in Virginia
- Virginia Homeschooling Laws
- Virginia Homeschool Associations
- Virginia Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
- Homeschool Field Trips in Virginia
- Virginia Standardized Testing and Test Prep
- Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Virginia
- How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12 in Virginia
This information should by no means be interpreted as legal advice. It is your responsibility to interpret and understand the laws that you will be homeschooling under.
How to Start Homeschooling in Virginia
Follow these four steps to homeschooling in the state of Virginia:
- Decide which scenario you will homeschool under (there are 3 legal options in the state)
- File your notice of intent to homeschool with your local school division.
- Choose your curriculum.
- Start enjoying learning together!
Virginia Homeschooling Laws
Virginia, a moderately regulated state, offers three ways to legally homeschool your child in the state:
- Homeschooling under a home instruction option
- Homeschooling with religious exemption
- With a certified tutor.
For more information and details on these requirements, visit our Virginia Homeschooling Laws page.
Virginia Homeschool Associations
When you are still in the “research” phase of homeschooling, a state homeschool association can be an incredibly helpful resource. Virginia is fortunate enough to have two such organizations — one aimed primarily at faith-based families, and another with a more inclusive focus. You can find out more about each of these Virginia homeschool associations and potential benefits of joining or supporting one or both of them in our Virginia Homeschool Associations page.
Virginia Homeschool Groups and Co-ops
While statewide support is wonderful for new homeschooling families, it is often the information and encouragement that they get at the local level that sustains them over the long term. Virginia has a large and growing homeschool demographic with many local and regional avenues for support. Even for families who may not be able to locate a compatible group nearby or do not have the time to participate in many local homeschool events, there are options for networking such as Time4Learning’s Virginia state homeschool forum. Discover more about opportunities to connect with other Virginia homeschoolers on our Virginia Homeschool Support Groups page.
Homeschool Field Trips in Virginia
In a state as historic as Virginia, you can imagine that there are plenty of opportunities to enhance your in-home learning by visiting educational sites and destinations. When you get a sense of how many ways there are to learn about science, history, geography, fine arts, and other subjects the hands-on way, you’ll soon have a growing list of field trip ideas. To help you begin to schedule these, our Virginia Homeschool Field Trips blog breaks some of these destinations down by geographic area.
Virginia Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Families who choose the most common option for homeschooling in Virginia (the Home Instruction Statute) must annually supply their local school division with evidence of academic progress. One method of covering the Virginia homeschool testing requirements is by having your child take a nationally normed standardized achievement test. Although never a favorite activity for students, most educational experts agree that testing is a measure of how well students comprehend and apply knowledge. They can also help homeschooling parents identify any gaps in their curriculum and instruction. Time4Learning’s comprehensive curriculum includes math and language arts that are correlated to state standards and help students prepare for nationally normed tests.
Why Time4Learning is the Leading Homeschool Curriculum in Virginia
After filing the notice of intent to homeschool, Virginia families usually turn their attention to the curriculum they want to use. As you begin browsing your options, you’ll discover an overwhelming array of options: everything from traditional textbook-style curricula to online schools in Virginia. Many families have turned to Time4Learning for part or all of their curriculum needs. Here are three reasons why Time4Learning is a leading homeschool curriculum in Virginia.
- Time4Learning’s self-paced, modularized lesson plans allow you to move forward and back through the materials whenever you want. You can skip lessons that teach concepts your child has already mastered and repeat those he or she has not. The choice is yours. With Time4Learning, you are always in control.
- The ease of use of the program means that families can sign up and begin learning on the very same day. Even accidental homeschoolers can navigate the curriculum with little or no preparation.
- No need to purchase a large package of materials you may or may not use. Time4Learning’s monthly subscription model allows you to use the program exactly as much and as long as you need.
How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12
Homeschool curriculum choices have expanded over the last decade. Parents have much more to choose from than typical textbooks, workbooks and other traditional schooling methods. Online courses, interactive videos, personal computers, laptops, and tablet devices provide exciting and engaging materials for children to experience. But all of these new methods often confuse parents, especially those who are new homeschoolers. Eventually, parents come to realize that mixing different tools and activities usually keeps their children stimulated and eager to learn. For more information review How to Build the Best Homeschool Curriculum for PreK-12.
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
In addition to being an award-winning choice for homeschool families, Time4Learning also offers an online after school program to help build your child’s skills. View our lesson demos and discover why thousands of Virginia families are already using it!
Give your student the chance to get back on track or explore exciting electives and get ahead for the next school year with Time4Learning’s online summer school. Our educational materials will engage and challenge your child to succeed.