Getting Started with Second Grade Homeschool
Second Grade Homeschooling Overview
Second grade is an exciting year because it’s often when your young reader really takes off with his or her new skill! Reluctant readers may become confident readers, and you can expect your child to read both for learning and for fun. The library can become a homeschool family’s favorite destination as your 2nd grader picks out a variety of fiction and non-fiction books. Your student will also benefit from a comprehensive 2nd grade reading curriculum.
This page provides:
- Top Ten Tips for Homeschool Second Grade
- Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum
- Second Grade Homeschool Resources
A typical course of study for second grade homeschoolers includes language arts , math, social studies, and science. To view a comprehensive list of the types of lessons that are included in a 2nd grade homeschool curriculum, explore Time4Learning’s scope and sequence page.
Ten Tips for Homeschooling 2nd Grade
Homeschooling has so much to do with things other than teaching but here are our ten tips for getting started with homeschooling your second grader.
- Your state’s department of education website can be an invaluable resource for what a typical course of study for your child’s grade level includes. This should only serve as a comparative tool, however, since ultimately, a homeschool student’s coursework is determined by the student and parent.
- While convenient a dedicated “homeschool room” isn’t for everyone. Dedicate a spot in your home to store the supplies or keep materials organized; all things related to learning can be done in any room and even outside!
- Plan lessons at a pace that makes sense to you and your schedule. Some homeschool parents find it necessary to plan out every detail of their homeschool day or week with a journal or software program, while other parents jot down general goals to achieve on a calendar and let the flow of the day dictate how they get lessons accomplished.There is no right or wrong way, it all starts with understanding your goals of homeschooling and the needs of your children.
- Don’t expect your second grade homeschooler to work independently for very long at a time. At this level, students need ongoing guidance and feedback. Look to check-in with them regularly during short lesson breaks.
- Break up homeschool study periods into 15-minute chunks. Between chunks, the child can play outside, have fun with an educational computer game, read, play an instrument or relax for a few minutes. As your child gets older, expand the length of study time.
- To grade or not to grade. Unless you are planning to put your child right back into school after a year of homeschooling, some parents find that grading assignments is far less important in homeschool than in traditional school. Parents often discover that they are able to accurately assess how well their child is learning without the use of a grading scale.
- Prevent burnout by scheduling regular outings with other families. Find out if your area has a local homeschool support group or meetups at the library and get involved with field trips, clubs, and community service activities they offer.
- Even homeschool parents need down-time during the day, so don’t forget to schedule in some time for you to take a break from homeschooling and rejuvenate with something you enjoy.
- If your state offers a tax-free school supplies day, that is the perfect opportunity to stock up on items you think you may use to enhance your homeschool experience.
- Don’t get so focused on the academic goals of your homeschool year that you forget to enjoy just learning together.
Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum
For second graders, Time4Learning provides language arts, math, science and social studies. Within the program, subjects are organized into multi-media chapters with interactive lessons, printable worksheets and graded activities. And with an automated software system, second graders are guided through the online activities at their own pace based on their learning levels.
Why Try Time4Learning’s Homeschool Curriculum:
- Students get individual logins and work at their own pace which can lead to more effective learning
- Parents can set the grade levels independently for each subject so student learn at their own speed
- Member-only access to detailed printable lesson plans and homeschool teaching tools to review lesson contents
- Time-stamping feature on the activities for attendance and record keeping
- Automated grading feeds homeschool portfolio usage making record keeping simple
- Detailed reporting for portfolio usage and parental support through our online Parent Forum
- Entirely web based, no software to download, no CDs and nothing additional to purchase
- Affordable membership backed by a 14-day money-back guarantee. You can start, stop, or pause your membership at any time without penalty
Second Grade Homeschool Resources
If you’re interested in homeschooling for second grade, you might also be interested in:
- Our lesson planning worksheet can help you estimate how many lessons to have your child do each day
- Second grade curriculum overview with a summary of key second grade learning objectives
- Detailed list of Second grade language arts lesson plans
- Second grade math lesson plans with brief activity descriptions and learning activity numbers
- Second grade science and social studies lesson plans in detail
- Second grade writing skills and standards by Time4Writing
- Second Grade Vocabulary and Spelling Lists – a free website that offers a fun and easy way to practice vocabulary and spelling words. Create your spelling list using the vocabulary words below and let SpellingCity teach them, use them in games and test your kids on them!
Online Curriculum for Homeschool, Afterschool and Summer Use
If you are just learning about Time4Learning, we’d suggest first looking at our interactive lesson demos.
Sign up for Time4Learning and gain access to a variety of educational materials, which will engage and challenge your child to succeed. Make Time4Learning a part of your children’s homeschool resources success.