6th Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Writing and reading comprehension will always be an important aspect of your child’s education. Sixth grade language arts is no different. This year, students will read more complex texts in a number of different genres, and also do a lot of non-fiction reading. This will help them further develop their ‘reading to learn’ skills that they began building a few years back. As far as writing is concerned, sixth grade language arts focuses on getting students to become more independent writers as they begin to work on formal essays and more detailed writing assignments.
This page includes information on everything you need to know about teaching 6th grade language arts including objectives and goals for reading, grammar and writing. You’ll also discover how Time4Learning’s comprehensive 6th grade language arts curriculum can help your child meet those objectives.
What Language Arts Concepts Should a 6th Grader Know
In 6th grade, students should be able to perform numerous language arts activities such as:
- Reading and understanding different genres (plays, poems, and news articles)
- Support their answers by using details and facts from a text
- Use different sources (books, websites, articles) to do research
- Understand grammar rules, punctuation, capitalization
- Write a complete paragraph with topic sentence and supporting details
A comprehensive sixth grade language arts curriculum will help your child build on what they already know, teach them more advanced skills, and even provide opportunities to review challenging concepts they may need help with.
Reading Goals/Objectives for 6th Grade
A comprehensive 6th grade language arts curriculum will help your child accomplish all of this year’s goals and objectives in reading, including:
- Identify, summarize, or explain the main idea of a text using supporting details
- Compare and contrast characters, settings, ideas, point of view, and/or plot
- Achieve comprehension by reading literature with an emphasis on vocabulary
- Use a variety of strategies to comprehend reading selections
- Use the reading comprehension process skills of summarizing, predicting, visualizing, questioning, and clarifying
- Expand their vocabulary and use them in discussions, reports and texts.
Learn more and view more detailed information about our homeschool reading curriculum.
Writing Goals/Objectives for 6th Grade
Sixth grade language arts writing goals aim at making students more independent writers by teaching them how to effectively use the steps in the writing process (plan, draft, write, revise, edit, print, and share). Below are some of this year’s writing goals and objectives.
- Create paragraphs and multiple-paragraph essays
- Create a fictional short story that includes dialogue
- Write letters for various situations, including business letters, e-mail messages, etc.
- Consistently apply rules of spelling
- Demonstrate increased vocabulary and enhanced language use
Grammar Goals/Objectives for 6th Grade
In order to be good writers, students must be knowledgeable about capitalization, punctuation, verb tenses, and all the other aspects that make up grammar. Below are some of the grammar goals and objectives for sixth grade language arts.
- Discriminate between transitive and intransitive verbs and direct and indirect objects
- Identify and use descriptive adjectives and adverbs to enhance writing
- Identify and correctly punctuate dependent and independent clauses
- Use commas in appositives and after introductory words and phrases, as well as with names in direct address
- Identify pronouns, demonstrate agreement between pronouns and antecedents
Why Choose Time4Learning Sixth Grade Language Homeschool Curriculum
The sixth grade language arts program is made up of extensive learning activities organized in three sections. The sections are alternative teaching approaches which overlap in their teaching of language arts mechanics, reading skills, writing skills, spelling, and vocabulary. Many parents follow the sequence exactly as it is presented. Many rotate doing one exercise from each section.
An effective sixth grade language arts curriculum should teach students in a way that makes learning fun and allows them to progress at a self-directed pace. Time4Learning is an award-winning curriculum for PreK-12th that does just that.
Below are even more reasons why families are choosing Time4Learning for their child’s 6th grade language arts curriculum.
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement