9th Grade English Language Arts Curriculum
When a student enters high school, they are beginning advanced courses for college preparation. In their freshmen year, students should have opportunities to develop listening and speaking skills included in their 9th grade English language arts curriculum. As they continue the process of learning grammar, vocabulary, composition, reading comprehension through the exploration of diverse texts, they should see their oral language skills strengthened.
The information below will guide you through the 9th grade English language arts activities your students should be completing and how Time4Learning can help you achieve academic excellence.
Here is what you’ll find on this page:
- What English Language Arts Concepts Should a 9th Grader Learn?
- Reading Goals & Objectives for 9th Grade
- Writing Goals & Objectives for 9th Grade
- Grammar Goals & Objectives for 9th Grade
- Why Choose Time4Learning Ninth Grade English Language Arts Homeschool Curriculum?
- Additional 9th Grade Homeschool Resources
What English Language Arts Concepts Should a 9th Grader Learn?
A typical course of study for 9th grade English language arts will include a variety of literary works from different cultures around the world. 9th graders usually cover book reports, which build both reading comprehension and composition skills, as well as expand on writing skills they built in previous years.
Some of the 9th grade language arts activities your student should perform include:
- Learn to identify the features and purpose of myths, as well as contrasting myths from different cultures.
- Learn how to interpret similes, analyze figurative language and use prior knowledge to make predictions.
- Researching and writing about mythical characters.
- Explore the different thematic links in the texts they read such as love, beauty, family, freedom, friendship and overall human nature.
- Read and understand increasingly challenging texts that build knowledge in history, science and other subjects.
- Compose texts that present multiple points of view.
- Conduct research and select information from multiple sources to support their arguments.
- Continue learning best practices for grammar and also expanding their vocabulary, both written and orally.
- Constantly read and analyze classical books, short stories, poetry and more.
Learn more about Time4Learning’s ninth grade English language arts curriculum by checking out the 9th grade English language arts scope and sequence and the 9th grade English language arts lesson plans.
Reading Goals & Objectives for 9th Grade
In terms of reading goals for 9th graders, your high school curriculum for language arts should aim at increasing the student’s ability to understand unknown words, as well as turning a more critical eye toward literature.
Reading goals and objectives for 9th graders should include:
- Decipher elements of the plot arch, setting, narrative, character development, Point-of-View, and more.
- Accurately identify the author’s point of view in a story.
- Adequately identify and explain the use of allegory and satire in novels.
- Achieve clear understanding of figurative language, form and perspective.
- Develop skills to evaluate materials for accuracy and discussion techniques.
- Read between the lines and notice subtext, worldview, and implications.
- Learn to track a plotline from the inciting moment to the climax and denouement.
- Explore the meaning of the author’s voice, choice of narrative and POV, and use of character development.
Get more detailed information on our homeschool reading curriculum.
Writing Goals & Objectives for 9th Grade
The ideal English language arts curriculum for ninth grade will encourage students to strengthen their writing skills by producing creative and coherent writing.
Writing goals for a ninth grader should include:
- Use different traits for writing, including organization, content, voice and word choice.
- Use figurative language to compose their own poetry.
- Develop and support ideas with specific examples, and citing information from reliable sources.
- Formulate appropriate questions and paraphrase problems.
- Identify areas of improvement in their own writing.
- Understand proper composition skills.
- Avoid plagiarism and accurately give credit to whom credit is due.
Grammar Goals & Objectives for 9th Grade
Even for a natural writer, grammar can be a struggle. Grammar extends beyond understanding how sentences flow together and instead, focuses on the rules of punctuation and types of phrases. 9th graders are expected to master high level grammar skills as proper writing skills are necessary for most career fields.
Consider these objectives for your 9th grade ELA curriculum:
- Understand and apply the proper grammar rules in their writing (pronoun-antecedent, apostrophes, etc.)
- Recognize run-on sentences, and sentence fragments and avoid them.
- Successfully diagram sentences.
- Subordinate clauses
- Participle phrases
- Relative clauses
Learn more on our homeschool curriculum grammar page.
Why Choose Time4Learning Ninth Grade English Language Arts Homeschool Curriculum?
Time4Learning’s 9th grade English language arts curriculum tackles each of the concepts mentioned above and more through engaging, interactive lessons with multimedia features and easy-to-follow instructions. Time4Learning follows a step-by-step method to bridge any possibilities of learning gaps and track the student’s progress. Consequently, students can move forward through the program as quickly or slowly as they need.
Time4Learning is dedicated to helping your students reach their academic goals while also enjoying their experience. Below are some reasons why parents and students prefer Time4Learning to help them meet their academic goals:
|As a Full Curriculum
||As a Supplement