Online Kindergarten Curriculum
Starting kindergarten is an exciting time for children and their families. It’s often the first time many children begin homeschool. Some experts consider kindergarten one of the most meaningful academic years since it helps set the stage for all the learning that will take place in the future.
Although the idea of kindergarten learning can be traced back to 1700’s Europe, it is Friedrich Frobel who coined the term ‘kindergarten’ in 1840 which means ‘garden for the children’. He believed that through play, children could learn and flourish while developing a number of important skills.
Time4Learning is an online, student-paced learning system the covers preschool through high school. It is popular for use as a kindergarten homeschool curriculum, for afterschool enrichment, and for summer study. For kindergarten students, Time4Learning provides language arts, math, and science.
What do Kids Learn in Kindergarten?
In kindergarten, students learn and begin to develop numerous fundamental skills that can have a lasting impact on them well into their adult years. Although not all states require children to attend kindergarten, studies have shown that there are numerous benefits to receiving a kindergarten education. In addition to academic skills such as reading, writing, and counting, kindergarten learning activities help students develop a number of behavioral, social and cognitive skills like sitting and paying attention, focusing on a task, and working with others.
During their kindergarten education, students will focus on nailing down their letters, sounds, and words, which will get them started on reading sight words and writing simple sentences. Fundamental math skills will also be of major focus and include skills such as counting by 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, basic addition and subtraction, and identifying shapes, just to name a few.
A complete kindergarten curriculum will include reading, writing, and art as well as the typical science, math and language arts.
Kindergarten Curriculum Overview
Time4Learning’s homeschool kindergarten program helps your child build a solid foundation in math, language arts, and science. The award-winning, online curriculum for kindergarten features hundreds of engaging activities and lessons that allow students to progress at their own pace as they have fun.
Most of what is taught in kindergarten will pave the way for further learning during the elementary years. Below is an overview of what you can expect your child to learn with the Time4Learning kindergarten learning activities.
Our curriculum includes dozens of fun activities for kindergarten in a number of different themes. You can expect your child to:
- Recognize numbers up to 10
- Learn how to sort objects
- Learn concepts of more and less
- Develop basic addition and subtraction skills
- Recognize and create basic patterns
Kindergarten learning activities are spread throughout 22 chapters. The objectives within the Time4Learning language arts curriculum for kindergarten include:
- Developing an awareness of letters
- Recognizing that letters have specific sounds
- Awareness of the relationship of “letters to words” and “words to sentences”
- Developing a basic vocabulary set by listening to and identifying unknown words in stories
- Recognizing basic sight words in text
Through interactive activities, fun songs, and hands-on projects, the award-winning curriculum introduces students to a number of concepts including:
- Living/Non Living Things
- Energy Sources
- Heat Energy
- Exploring the Universe
Your child will also have access to educational games for kindergarten within our Playground that offers additional kindergarten activities. In addition, students have access to tons of printable worksheets for additional practice and reinforcement.
Why Choose T4L Homeschool Curriculum for Kindergarten?
Finding the right homeschool curriculum for kindergarten can be a stressful, daunting task. With so many options available, it may be difficult for parents to narrow down their choices and select the one that will help their child thrive and succeed. Below are just a few of the features you’ll find within the Time4Learning kindergarten curriculum that you and your child will have access to and benefit from.
Features and Highlights
- Student-paced format allows your child to take their time on more challenging concepts
- Interactive , high-quality, research-based instruction
- Individualized instruction that includes ongoing assessments
- Curriculum builds core educational skills in a fun, online atmosphere
- Comprehensive math and language arts curriculum is designed to correlate to state standards
- Automated grading and recordkeeping saves parents time
- Convenient tools for parents include detailed lesson plans as well as activity planners
- Work with students of varying skill levels and educational needs including gifted, mainstream and special needs
- Engaging activities tap into students critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Immediate feedback allows both students and parents to keep track of progress at all times
- Promotes independent learning and deepens student knowledge