How Time4Learning Prepares Your High Schooler for College
“But what about college?” “Can homeschoolers go to college?”
If you are homeschooling a high schooler, you are likely to hear these questions echoed more than a few times from well-meaning family, friends, and acquaintances. Those who are less familiar with homeschooling tend to assume that it will limit your high schooler’s higher-education options. In fact, that couldn’t be further from the truth. If anything, this unique path you’ve chosen may actually expand–rather than confine–your child’s educational opportunities.
These days, colleges aren’t just accepting homeschoolers, they are recruiting them! They have learned that homeschool often engenders independent, self-motivated youth who thrive in the dynamic environment of higher education. You’ll find many college booths at homeschool conventions, with recruiters eager to get their school on your list of potential post-homeschool possibilities.
How do Homeschoolers Get Into College?
Of course, the process of getting into college after high school isn’t magic. There is plenty of preparation involved. One of the most crucial tools in your high school homeschooling toolbox is your student’s transcript. From the moment you know you will be homeschooling a high schooler, you’ll want to begin tracking every course, grade, credit, extracurricular, and accomplishment. While parents often assume that colleges are only concerned with official diplomas and accredited curriculum, the truth is they are much more focused on whether your child’s academic path was challenging and varied. They are looking for:
- College prep-level coursework
- Strong GPA
- Unique electives and extracurriculars
- Competitive SAT/ACT scores (some colleges)
- Community service hours
- Individualized interests (particularly if the student will be majoring in that interest)
By choosing to individualize your child’s high school path, you are already ahead of the game! Homeschooling offers the flexibility to explore future careers, investigate different areas of interest, and delve into subjects as far as your curiosity leads you. When colleges see that your student has gone above and beyond the traditional curriculum expectations, they can’t help but recognize that he or she will likely flourish in the self-directed environment of higher education.
How Time4Learning Prepares High Schoolers for College
Time4Learning’s rigorous, self-paced, engaging, and student-centered high school curriculum can help lay the groundwork for college success. Each of the standards-based courses includes direct-instruction videos led by expert, on-screen teachers. These videos, combined with rigorous assignments, performance tasks, and assessments, engage high schoolers and motivate them toward subject-area mastery.
Author and salesman Zig Ziglar once said, “There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.” We, at Time4Learning, want to remind your homeschool family that you are not taking those stairs on your own. Our goal is to support you with a program that makes that climb easier.
Time4Learning’s curriculum helps prepare your student for college with:
- Rigorous, standards-based academic coursework that looks great on transcripts and helps prepare students for college admissions tests such as the ACT and SAT
- Expert, on-screen teachers that emulate the types of lectures students will get in the university environment
- Tasks, projects, and assignments that require independent, critical thinking skills
- The opportunity to practice time management by choosing how to break down coursework into manageable chunks
- Ongoing assessments that help identify knowledge gaps so students can quickly address them
- A dedicated elective course to teach students the study skills that will facilitate academic success in both high school and college
- Access to high school electives to explore areas of interest and to get the most out of their homeschool experience
Of course, telling you how Time4Learning prepares your homeschooler for college is one thing, but we’d love to introduce you to some of the recent graduates who have used Time4Learning and were accepted their top-choice colleges!