What About Math?
Time4Learning strongly feels that a solid math foundation is vital for children to succeed. Without these skills, chances are they will have a lot of trouble in school and beyond.
It’s no wonder that students with weak math skills have a difficult time with the subject. As a result, they get poor grades and you may even notice that they begin to develop math anxiety. But when a child develops a solid math foundation, you’ll be amazed at how that stress and anxiety disappears. You might even hear your child say that math is fun!
Building a solid foundation in math requires a systematic approach. Too many children do not get the broad introduction and ongoing practice that builds confidence and deep understanding. The primary mistakes that parents make in teaching math are having too narrow a focus and reviewing math concepts out of sequence. This blog post will discuss broadening focus; a future blog post will cover proper sequence.
Parents tend to overemphasize arithmetic and overlook other math areas. The Time4Learning math lesson plans are available for you to review. They teach these five math strands:
- Number Sense and Operations – Knowing how to represent numbers and recognizing “how many” in a group paves the way for grasping number theory.
- Algebra – Even at the preschool level, learning to recognize patterns and sets (“pick the small red fish”) creates the groundwork for working with unknowns and algebraic variables and prepares students for algebra in middle school.
- Geometry and Spatial Sense – When children build on their knowledge of basic shapes, they increase their ability to reason spatially, read maps, visualize objects in space and eventually use geometry to solve problems.
- Measurement – Learning how to measure and compare is an important life skill that encompasses the concepts of length, weight, temperature, capacity, time and money.
- Data Analysis and Probability – Using charts, tables and graphs will help children learn to share and organize information about the world.
The Time4Learning online system allows children in pre-k to high school to progress through the math curriculum with a self-paced, comprehensive, fun approach. The fundamentals of math are taught in such an engaging way that your children will enjoy learning their math. Try our interactive demos or sign up now and receive a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Time4Learning’s math program continues through high school. This includes Algebra I and II, Geometry, Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus. Learn more about our pre-algebra and algebra online course.