Parents of autistic children often prefer to have an interactive role in their children’s education. It is common for parents with autistic children to homeschool at some point when appropriate institutions cannot be found. Even when schools do provide appropriate education, providing home reinforcement and support for education can be an exhausting task for parents.
Many families with children on the autism spectrum have found Time4Learning to be a great contribution to their children’s education. Read more about:
- How children with Autism can benefit from an online curriculum like Time4Learning
- Finding the right educational mix for your child
- Why children with Autism enjoy learning on the computer
- Feedback from parents using Time4Learning with Autistic students
- Key features of the Time4Learning program
Autism – Educating Autistic Children
A large number of highly functioning autistic students successfully use Time4Learning. Children with Autism can benefit from the online curriculum for many reasons, including:
- Language Skills – Time4Learning provides a fun multimedia approach to building linguistic skills which are often difficult for autistic children to acquire. Unlike simple “learning games”, Time4Learning provides a comprehensive language arts program starting with simple vocabulary, verbal comprehension, and following basic instructions.
- Patient Impersonal Computer-Based Instruction – Autistic children can be a challenge to anyone’s patience. The computer is both endless patient and , since Time4Learning is automated, children and teachers have some time to prepare other lessons.
- Student-Paced – Students can progress through thge Time4Learning at their own pace. Additionally, students can be placed at separate levels for language arts and math. Many autistic children choose to repeat lessons which Time4Learning allows.
- Social Skills – Beyond the purely academic, parents of autistic children have commented that the lessons model proper conversation and interactions which help autistic children learn normal conversational interactions which can be very useful for autistic children as they struggle to understand standard social interactions. For instance, many of the lower school math lessons start with a short conversation between two cartoon characters. Typically, one asks a question, the other explains the question which serves as an introduction to the lesson. The first character thanks him for the information. This models a typical peer interaction.
The language arts is GREAT for helping with phonics and beginner reading skills… Plus, the lessons are thoroughly entertaining!
Here at Letter Stadium, first graders learn about “r-controlled vowels” from the Phonics Football Players.
What do children with Autism need?
There is no simple single answer to this question for autistic children. In fact, experts cannot often agree on the best treatment for a single case. Putting aside these debates and focusing on the question of education, autistic children appear to benefit from early educational intervention with an emphasis on helping them acquire language skills and mastering basic social interactions. While speech pathologists, parent-led therapy, and intensive language courses appear to help; most autistics benefit from daily intensive language work which is beyond the logistical and financial ability of most parents to provide. Time4Learning provides a home-based low cost effective method to supplement these others therapies.
Austism – Finding the Right Educational Mix
Whether your public school delivers on the commitment to provide adequate education or not, parents of autistic children need to be deeply involved in their children’s education. Many parents with autistic children homeschool at some point when appropriate institutions cannot be found. Even when schools do provide appropriate education, providing home reinforcement and support for education can be an exhausting task for parents.
Many Autistic Children Like Learning on the Computer
Time4learning is a thorough curriculum that allows children to move through the lessons at their own pace. The lessons are short and fun, children learn and are engaged by what is presented without stress or boredom. Each lesson completed on Time4learning gives our children a sense of achievement. The lessons provide positive reinforcement without the kind of pressure that can trigger stressful episodes in children with Autism. There are no set lesson times, our children can log onto the system and resume learning at any time, the kind of flexibility that is priceless to a parent of a child with a pervasive developmental disorder.
Time4Learning explains the concepts and gives clear-cut examples. Even in her "old age" she enjoys completing her lessons and earning time in the "playground."
In algebra, students learn how numbers are represented using letters in algebraic expressions.
Curriculum Feedback from Parents with Autistic Children
Eileen, mother of a child with mild autism, says:
Let me begin by saying that so far my 1st grade son enjoys your Time4Learning program and looks forward to his on-line lessons. We are a homeschooling family – doing so because our son has Mild Autism. I am using your program to supplement other math and language curriculums we have purchased. I am very impressed with your subject offerings which greatly enhance what I am teaching….[The note went on to mention some suggestions that she had about the pacing of some of the lessons which would improve it for her child]
Brian and Lydia, parents of an Autistic boy said:
My son is autistic. Many kids are, and are in specialized programs due to their specific needs. Reilly was mainstreamed, and for a few years he did wonderfully. Unfortunately, in the mainstream world, infrequently one can come across a teacher who isn't necessarily familiar with the needs of an autistic child. This has happened to us a couple times in Reilly's education, and the most recent, I decided to pull him from "regular" school and use Time4Learning as a curriculum that might suit his needs. It did more than his father and I hoped for. Reilly is now enthusiastic about learning each and every day, and has shown a love for Language Arts I fervently believe only Time4Learning could have instilled in him. We never see the tantrums and meltdowns that we saw as he attended mainstream class, and are enjoying the ability via your hard work and effort to really and actively participate in his education. We appreciate the opportunity; but more so, we appreciate the time you have put into making the opportunity for it happen.
Key Features of Time4Learning’s Home Education Program
Time4Learning.com combines 1500+ multimedia lessons, printable worksheets and graded activities in a student-paced environment that brings concepts to life. Math and language arts lessons are correlated to state standards. Science, social studies and art are also provided as a bonus to most grades.
Other key features of the program:
- Students get individual logins and work on their own schedule and pace
- Parents can set the grade level independently for each subject
- The grade above and below are available in most grades for review and additional study
- Detailed lesson plans available for parents who wish to review lesson contents
- Access to an online playground that rewards and motivates
- An automated system grades lessons and keeps reports for homeschool portfolio usage (shown below)
- Sign up and get started on the same day!
Time4Learning is entirely web based, so there is no software to download, no CDs and nothing additional to purchase. Students will be able to access the program 24/7 from any computer with an internet connection.
Time4Learning offers a 14-day money-back guarantee and the ability to stop, start, or pause anytime. Browse lesson plans, try the interactive lesson demos, read curriculum reviews, or view the curriculum overview to see what’s available.