All children learn at different paces and have unique learning needs, many of which may not be met in a traditional classroom. When parents begin to notice changes in their students’ grades and gaps in their learning, many families often turn to tutoring centers.
Some parents easily find a college or high school student in the neighborhood, a retired teacher or even a working teacher who can tutor their child. Others try countless methods, spending a lot of money for a service that just doesn’t seem to work. Sometimes, reinforcing concepts once or twice a week for a child is not enough when continual support is needed. What to do?
Parents may not realize that Time4Learning is an excellent alternative to local tutoring centers.
- Reasons Children Require the Help of a Tutor
- Traditional Tutoring Centers
- Personal Home Tutors
- Time4Learning: An Excellent Alternative
- The Time4Learning Program Structure
Why Does my Child Need a Tutor?
Teachers move at a pace that suits the average student. When a child falls behind in his schoolwork, it may take a lot of work for him to get caught up. If the teacher is still moving forward with class material, which is usually the case, the help of a tutor is usually required. In other instances, a child may be able to keep up with most of his schoolwork, but finds that one particular subject, such as math, is a little harder to grasp. A math tutor can help the child focus on that one subject and teach it in a way that the student will understand.
Private tutors are also often called upon when children with disabilities or learning difficulties need some extra guidance to remain at the same level as the rest of their peers. Material learned in class is reinforced by a tutor, resulting in better retention of the material.
Finally, tutoring is also utilized when students are able to keep up with their schoolwork but wish to study further to prepare for a standardized test. These children may also use the service of a private tutor during the summer months to sharpen the skills they were taught during the school year.
Traditional Tutoring Centers
Traditional tutoring centers may not always be the best option when a child is in need of a private tutor. Some tutoring centers require that a student stay in a lesson until it has been mastered. Students cannot continue on in their studies until they successfully pass the test for that specific lesson. Sometimes, this may actually cause the student to fall behind even more.
Another problem arises with tutoring centers that require a child to take an actual SAT/PSAT or ACT exam. These private tutors focus on correcting the reported problem areas that show up on the exam results. If a child is having trouble telling time in school, but his test showed a problem with metric measurements, he will fall behind on his school work because the tutor is focusing only on the metric measurements.
Finally, many of the traditional tutoring centers provide private tutoring for math and grammar only and not for any of the other school subjects such as science and social studies.
My children’s favorite part of the day is their time on Time4Learning. This is the easiest and most consistently productive curriculum we’ve used!
My kids can work independently or with my involvement. Time4Learning has enriched their education and simplified my life!
Personal Home Tutors
Although private home tutors will work on the areas of instruction you request, they are not regulated. Tutors may not have a degree, professional credentials or even teaching experience. There is no guarantee that the home tutor will be able to quickly identify why your child is having trouble or determine what technique should be applied to help the student. Parents that use personal home tutors may also find a fluctuation in rates, as well as schedules that are based on what is most convenient for the private tutor.
Time4Learning: An Excellent Alternative
- In addition to math and language arts, Time4Learning provides guided help in science and social studies. There are very few learning centers that offer tutoring in subjects other than mathematics or language arts. If your child is struggling to understand magnetism or how the Constitution was written, Time4Learning can help.
- Time4Learning can be accessed anywhere as long as you have an Internet connection. Tutoring centers are more widespread in large, populated cities, thus leaving out families in small towns. Parents that have access to the Internet, no matter which state they live in, can turn to Time4Learning for homework help.
- Traditional tutoring centers focus on SAT and achievement testing to determine what the child should be focusing on. Oftentimes, this does not coincide with what the child is learning in school. If a child comes home having trouble with the day’s grammar lesson, she won’t get help understanding it from the learning center’s private tutor. Time4Learning gives students access to an entire year’s worth of the curriculum for their grade level. All you need to do is take a look at the lesson plans to find the corresponding lesson they need homework help with.
- Parents must make appointments with the traditional tutoring center and then drive their child to and from the appointments. This can take up a considerable amount of the parent’s time. Time4Learning’s online tutoring can be done at home anytime, eliminating the driving time as well as the cost of gas.
- Learning centers and private tutors charge an hourly fee that is often quite high. Time4Learning charges one low monthly fee that is probably less than the total a private tutor or learning center charges in only a one hour session. Students will have access to Time4Learning’s online tutoring lessons as many hours as they need. A child may use Time4Learning 10 hours a month or 30 hours per month. The cost is still the same regardless of how often you use it.
- Time4Learning is exciting and appealing to children. Learning centers often do a lot of book work, while Time4Learning provides animated lessons that feel more like the student is playing a video game than getting tutoring online. Students tend to learn more while using Time4Learning because their attention is captured in a unique way.
- Time4Learning allows parents to be involved in their child’s tutoring. Each online tutoring session comes complete with recorded grades that parents can access via the parent administration page. Printable worksheets are also available for parents to use with their child to provide more homework help. Traditional tutoring centers will keep parents informed, but many do not involve the parents in the tutoring process.
- Students that utilize Time4Learning are provided with a full year’s worth of online tutoring material. This gives students the opportunity to begin advancing onto other lessons in their studies after catching up on their school work.
- Time4Learning provides discreet private tutoring for children who may be embarrassed about needing a little extra homework help. Online tutoring can take place in the child’s bedroom at his computer desk or in the family living room.
- Parents of homeschoolers will also find Time4Learning’s tutoring program to be a lifesaver. Since lessons are animated with full explanations, homeschooling students can receive online tutoring for lessons they are not comprehending under their parents’ instruction. This reduces parent frustration and increases student excitement for learning.
The Time4Learning Program Structure
Time4Learning has been refined through years of feedback from educators, parents and students. Subjects are organized into chapters composed of interactive lessons, printable worksheets, quizzes and tests. Students are guided through the activities at their own pace by an automated system.
When students log in, they choose a subject, select a chapter, pick a lesson and complete the activities. A bright green arrow tells them where they left off and completed work is clearly labeled with a checkmark or a gold star. Visual and auditory prompts guide students through the lessons, making them easy for young learners to follow, and an online playground, controlled by parents, rewards and motivates them to finish their lessons.
Parents get access to printable lesson plans, teaching tools, detailed reporting and parental support through our online Parent Forum.
Does your child have different achievement levels for math and language arts? No problem. Time4Learning lets you set each individual subject at the appropriate grade level, making this program ideal for special needs and gifted students.